Coupes & Runabouts...common rotting spots

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coupes & Runabouts...common rotting spots
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Are there common spots to look for wood (or metal) rot on coupes and runabout? I know coupes in particular can be pricey to have to restore woodwork, so when examining a potential purchase, I'd like to know some of the most important spots to look closely at for rot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:38 am:

Of the cars I've restored they all have rotted and broken joints on the top wood. The 2nd common spot is the base frame. One way to tell is at the bottom of the cowl. If the cowl is badly rusted at the bottom it has been my experience that the base frame wood has been wet and rotted causing the cowl to rust from the inside outward. Top wood and "A" pillar rot is caused by road shock. Without knowing what year models you are referring too this is a general statement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:47 am:

Example

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:58 am:

For the coupes, this question is aimed at the '19-23 years. For the runabouts, I'm looking at '13-14s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

The lower body sills are probably the most important part of a Model T. They hold the body in place and they are where the body brackets attach to.
In general rewooding a Roadster is easier and less costly than a closed car.

The closed T's I have owned I noticed the sills were beginning to deteriorate below the windows.

When the cars were in rain over the years the water would run down the windows and down into the top of the wood sills.

T's weren't rain tight and anywhere the water would get in moisture would eventually do some damage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration