OT Bad EBAY experience with Keim Industrial Surplus

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Bad EBAY experience with Keim Industrial Surplus
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:08 am:

I'm replacing the wheels bearings on my other antique car, a 12 Oakland, and ordered 2 cups off ebay. When the box arrived there was only one cup inside. I sent an email through ebay to Keim saying I didn't get the 2 that I had ordered and paid for and to please send the missing one. No response from Keim. Ebay gives the seller 9 days to respond. At that time I sent another email through ebay to Keim asking him to either send the part or refund the cost of one cup. No response. I pursued my claim with ebay. They denied it because the box shows as being delivered. That's correct of course but the contents were not all there. Ebay has closed my case. Ebay won't let me leave feedback against this vendor. Doesn't make me want to use ebay again. At least it wasn't a lot of money to lose.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Sort of the same issue happened to me a little more than a year ago. Box was damaged during shipping, mostly due to very poor packing, and all I received was an empty box. I filed a claim for not receiving the item that I ordered and it was denied. I was told the same thing, the package shows as delivered.

I called the customer service number for eBay (actually a better and easier experience than I thought it would be) and they explained the problem and then helped/walked me through filing the correct claim, item received not as described.

Long story short, got my money back in less than 2 days after filing the right claim. I "understand" their logic about it being delivered, you just have to know which box to check-off when opening a claim/dispute. I would definitely try giving eBay a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:00 am:

How did you pay for the bearings? If PP or credit card, you may have recourse thru them.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:21 am:

I have found better response from E-*** if you tell them a white lie and say the item is not what you ordered(you ordered 2 cups but only got 1 therefore it was not what you ordered, the package was severely damaged you ordered an undamaged part) they at least listen to you if you approach it from that angle...bottom line you didn't get what you ordered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Ditto what G.R. says. Open a "not as described" complaint. Those generally get faster responses. If the item(s) is described as a set or multiples and you only get one, that's not as described. And the best way to handle it is by marking the negative feedback orb. It will automatically ask if you want to open a complaint.

I ordered some "18W LED Driving Lights" not too long ago. What I got would barely work for dome lights. Didn't put out the light as described and only drew 300mw of current. The seller just refunded the money and didn't send a return label so I still have the lights and my money. It was cleared up within a few days.

Worthless lights by the way. They might make good night lights or something. Normally, if the price is too good to be true, it usually is. But these were priced within pennies of the "good" lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Ken,

Ebay exists to further the business interests and profits of itself - not the parties involved in transactions.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:37 am:

I have called them numerous times with problems and it seems a lot better than sending e mails
always got good results, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Ditto on the recommendations to call them. I bought a Stanley Steamer brochure recently on Ebay - when the package arrived, it had a pottery barn catalog in it. I thought I was a victim of bait & switch, so I called Ebay and filed a "not as described" complaint.

The seller contacted me that same day and told me that he had slipped the brochure deep inside the catalog to protect it during shipping! Sure enough, I found the brochure after flipping through the catalog. Boy, was I embarrassed!

I cancelled the complaint, sent a message of apology to the seller, and gave the transaction five star favorable feedback. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Sorry you had troubles Ken. If you used paypal or a credit card, you can go though them to get a refund. Ebay has hundreds of thousands of good sellers & millions of good transactions per day . I personally have purchased around 2 dozen vehicles on Ebay & never had a major issue. Many of these were quite a bit of money & nothing but a few minor differences in what I thought was nice & what they thought was nice on a piece or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:27 am:

I too had one to many bad experiences with EBAY. The final instance occurred two years ago. I sold a rebuilt carburetor to a customer. The customer then sold the carburetor to a third party (which he admitted to doing so). The third party installed the carburetor on a car with a very dirty gas tank and the needle kept sticking. The third party returned the now used and damaged carburetor to the individual who initially purchased it from me several months later. The initial buyer disputed the purchase and EBAY yanked the money out of my PAYPAL account. EBAY did not give care the original buyer had sold the carburetor to a third party who damaged it. Also, the carburetor was never returned by the original buyer. Being out several hundred dollars and the carburetor, I ended my relationship with EBAY. Now, I only sell parts on the MTFCA classified site and will continue to do so. EBAY sucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:51 am:

I had successfully purchased many vehicles thru eBay till I bought a "restored" 1969 Karmann Ghia coupe out of San Francisco as a Christmas gift to my wife. I wasn't able to find anyone who could look at it personally so asked for a bunch more pictures. Like T's the VW community used to be a close knit, trustworthy group so I pulled the trigger. The seller kept putting off the pick up for several months and Christmas had come and gone. When pick up was finally made, the transport driver wasn't able to get into our Naples, Florida subdivision so I met him on a main road. When the driver opened the trailer door I exclaimed he must have delivered MY car to someone else. The car was total crap and NOT the car in the photos. Didn't even make the 3 mile drive to our house and had to be flatbedded. I complained to the seller who stated it was the car pictured and what I bought. When I complained to eBay, they stated the 90 day period to file a complaint had long since past and I had no recourse. It was a $10K (out of my pocket) Ghia that I sold as a project car for $500. Two of our T's I bought off eBay with the agreement with the seller if it wasn't the car pictured I would back out of the transaction w/o negative comments by either party and both were as described. After the Ghia I only bought cars I go pick up myself. My 2 cents on eBay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

I have had hundreds of sales and purchases using eBay. Like Ken, I have had one bad experience. Compared to any other way of doing business I say eBay is excellent for the buyer and seller. Nothing in this world is perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Call and talk to an eBay representative and remind them of their buyer protection policy. In November, I never received an item that the USPS said was delivered. My claim was at first rejected until I called.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Well I hadn't got around to phoning ebay yet and was I surprised to see a refund show up in today's email days after my claim was denied. The vendor says "Hello, I apologize about the bearing, I am not sure what happened, or what all is going on with the bearing, but I am going to send you a refund". The money is back in my paypal account now. Too bad he didn't deal with this problem when it first happened. I wonder if he saw this thread and decided the bad publicity wasn't a good thing...
Thanks everybody for all the advice. I'm still going to limit my ebay purchases from now on. This delayed my project by 3 weeks. Not worth the hassle to save a few bucks.

Ken

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration