Need help on mounting a model A instrument panel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need help on mounting a model A instrument panel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:23 am:

Besides having a model T, I also have a 1929 model A p/u roadster. I have the four 10-32 x 1/2" screws to mount the instrument panel. However, the "D" nuts that are attached to the gas tank for the two lower screws are missing. Have not been able to locate any replacements in any vendor catalogs. There are slots/cut outs in the gas tank for what is missing. Would like to used the correct mounting hardware. Thank you for your help.
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, south of the border on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Les, go to Snyder's online and search for d-nut. The first item shown is binned as a 10/32 nut. it's really a 10-32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:58 am:

Les,
A & L used to carry them. I'm surprised Snyder's doesn't have them, maybe give them a phone call.
BTW, the repro dash panels usually don't fit well.
Also before you install it the 29 dash panel was originally SATIN nickel, not shiny (one of my pet peeves). You can satin a shiny panel by using a buffing wheel and 180 grit polishing compound--goe easy, it doesn't take much, the pattern is horizontally across the front, follow side to edge.
Oh, "cinching" the nuts in may be very difficult, maybe just use JB Weld to hold them in.
Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Maybe use a clip nut:
Clip nut

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration