How does one shorten a speedometer cable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How does one shorten a speedometer cable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 06:27 am:

I have a steel Stewart cable housing that is 67" long. A third of the cable links are rusty and all of the cable replacement inserts available from the vendors are shorter. How do I un-crimp one of the ends to shorten the outer casing so that I can install the replacement insert?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:40 am:

You could try this approach to shorten the cable...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Mark
Some things are best left to folks who know what they are doing, Contact Russ Furstnow (nine-two-eight-six-nine-nine-two-three-seven-six). Russ is our resident Model T speedometer expert. No doubt can advise you how/where to get a replacement cable and shorten the housing if required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I cut the end off with about 1" sticking out. Then I screw the end onto a piece of old swivel clamped in the vice. Most of these are both crimped and soldered. If it is only crimped you can pull the cable right out without heating it.

If it is soldered heat the end with a torch to melt the solder as you pull with pliers. Once the old cable is completely out of the end fitting you can grind out any remaining solder with a small rotary file. Then you need to run a die through the inside of the end to make it large enough to slip over the cable again.

Once the cable housing is cut to length you can either solder or crimp it on the housing. I like solder as it keeps grease from oozing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Contacted Russ. He said that the end ferrule can be twisted off. Once off, it can be reformed by using a deep socket wrench and then re-crimped. I like the idea of soldering it too for retaining the lubricant. I guess I need to "tin" the steel parts before assembling.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration