OT - New Photo - Child's Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - New Photo - Child's Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Thought this was pretty neat and appropriate...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:42 am:

He might grow up to be a Shriner!:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:37 am:

At what point does one draw the line on silly and fake, stupid stuff ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Ford-Other-TILLER-QUAD-/391682365675?forcerrptr=tru e&hash=item5b321698eb:g:8~EAAOSw5cNYgZog&item=391682365675

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Great picture Tim. Hopefully he will be a member of this club long after we are gone. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

The photo above shows a child's toy that does't pretend to be a real Model T. I can't imagine anyone foolish enough to attempt to present (or purchase) it as anything but a toy vehicle. The ebay link above would like to pretend to be something far different than what it is. I can't fit them into the same category. If I had children or grandkids of an appropriate age I could be interested in the one in the photo but would never spend a nickel for the one on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Roger that, Walt. I have no use for either. I see them both as just silly.
But a fair number of people like both of these types of things, or we would
not see them all the time .... SOMEONE is building them and buying them !
My comment was simply asking, where to people draw the line and why ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

I draw the line at things I can't fit in. I couldn't fit that, line drawn. See, it's easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

BTW, they regularly sell the 1960's "reproduction" Curved Dash Oldsmobiles for $4000 - $6000. Some were done very nicely, with Kohler engines. Others were pretty bad looking. I believe two different firms made them. Anyway, I can't see that kind of money in them, but then I'm not like everybody else, so...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

My wife and her Sister had access to one of those when they were children. Who knows what kind of influence it had but her Sister owns a Model A now. Joy loves to ride in T's more than anyone else I know. If that means anything I can't say they are all bad.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

BBTW- Didn't Arthur Godfrey own a company that made one of the drivable curved dash Olds replicas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Forgot to add- When I was a kid I always wanted one of the Shriner Model T go carts. When I got bigger, I got real Model T's. Start em' young, get them hooked early. Hate to think how I would have turned out if I wasn't a "rustaholic". Makes me shudder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I have one of those little Model T cars. It was used in Dogpatch USA theme park near Harrison Arkansas in the late 60s and 70s era. I remember driving one of them in aprox 1969 (not really sure of exact year) when I went to the park with Mom and Dad along with my cousins and Aunt and Uncle. They were a lot of fun for myself and cousins, and maybe one of the things that warped my young mind. They had a angle iron frame work around the car. You drove the car around a track/road thru the park. The angle iron frame work kept you from leaving the track/road. I got my little T from the bankruptcy auction sale, after the park closed due to lawsuits about injuries caused by some of the rides being dangerous. I hope to restore it someday. Burger, please don,t knock things that do not always appeal to you. I understand your point of view. But the little car is a important part of my collection. It is T related, and also has a direct tie to my childhood. I more than likely drove that car on one of our trips to Dogpatch. The Dogpatch theme park is probably one more of the "fake" "not really as it was" type of things you seem to despise, but it was a lot of fun for a kid and a good day out with Mom Dad and family. Have fun and be safe .... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Donnie,

Just as I make my argument, you make yours. And a good argument you make.
I tend to be "read" as being harsh. I really don't give a damn. I just make my case
and expect anyone else with a contrary opinion to make theirs. I will respect a well
made argument, even if I disagree. It is mind opening to take in "opposing argument".
There are occasions people will do it so well, I change my position on a given subject.
I always encourage good debate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Here is whats left of my little T. I removed the angle iron frame work for easier storage. During the time of the lawsuits, the park was closed, and everything just sat, and was either stolen, vandalized, or just allowed to rot away. After years of neglect. the remaining items were sold at auction to pay the lawyers and a very little bit for the plantiffs. A couple years ago the grounds and remaining buildings sold and put an end to the lawsuits. They are working on reopening the park. But it is more of a theme park, hiking trails, trout farm, fishing, and gift shops in the old buildings. Nothing like it really was back then. But they have saved as much of the "feel" of the place as they can. It really was a neat place to go, even if it was "fake". They are still looking for the small "train and locomotive" that was stolen during the lawsuit years. as they want to put it back in service. It was one of the few "safe rides" in the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Donnie,

The wheels go on the outside of the car...it will be easier to turn and operate. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

These are great little 1/2 scale cars. My grandson has had one sense he was 4. It's a great way to get then into the hobby. Some shows have a youth trophy. My grandson loves to go to shows with me and tell everyone all about his car. Just my 2 cents
Gary Kmiecik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

When I was a kid I tried to build my own little Model T. I had some riding mower parts and plywood for a body. All I did was spent a lot of time on something that you can't do when you are 12 or however old I was with virtually no help and a tool set of whatever I used on my go-cart. I would've loved to have one. When I hit 13 or 14 I bought a T frame for 50 bucks and started on a real one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Corey, .... I was with you. I wasn't so enamored with a miniature T as I
was a go-kart, but my skill set and available help was nil, so nothing ever
came of it. A few years passed and I just graduated to rebuilding a real
car. Much more impressive with the girls over 14 years old anyway ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Dad bought our Fordor five years before I was born, and it sat in the back room of his auto repair business. It was THE Ford model T that I knew. I climbed all over it, as soon as I was old enough to climb. Fast forward to the summer I was eight years old. Mom was driving home from downtown, and I saw a kid driving one of these little T's on the sidewalk. It was all I could think about for quite a while. I am 51 now, and every time I go past the spot where I saw the kid driving the little T, I think of it. A few years ago, I was helping a friend roof the house of another friend, and spotted his Dad's old shriner T in the garage. I expressed interest, and let him know that if it were ever to be offered for sale, I would like a chance to buy it. Fast forward another few years, and I ran into the guy at the grocery store. He asked if I still wanted the little T. I said yes, and asked what he wanted for it. He didn't want cash, but told me that he knew I had something I could trade him for it. After much consideration, I offered him a 1976 Honda CR250 Elsinore. It had been "THE" bike to own, when I was in middle school, and I finally had one. (It took me til my late 30's though). I think he was more thrilled with the bike, than I was with the little T. I gave it to my then 6 year old son as a gift. After I drove it around the driveway the first time, I told my Son that I had waited more than 40 years for one. He replied, "You sill don't have one, it's mine". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

My cousins and I were not normal kids. I could weld as good as most men when I was 12. My cousin Johnny was as good as I was. Along with my cousin Jimmy and cousin Ronnie, we were probably a danger to the community. We even had a "Rock Band" named "Brotherhood" and practiced in my Uncle Myron's garage most every weekend. We once had someone call and request a song from 10 miles away. The police usually drove by about 10:00 at night, pointed their spotlight into the garage, just to let us know it was time to shut it down .:-) We all had good dads that taught us well.(they were almost as bad as us :-)) We also had a endless supply of raw material to work with. My uncle lived between the airport on one side and Barrows scrap and salvage on the other side. We did not have to steal anything. The owners almost gave us full run of the parts piles. As long as we asked for it, we usually could have it. Me and my cousin Ronnie were racing motorcycles from about 14 years old till I turned 19. We built and raced our own bikes. Mostly Enduro but a little bit of Motor cross. Those Motor cross people are crazy. I gave that up pretty quick. Sometime in there we found out about girls . :-) So we needed some "cool cars" to cruise town in. So there were several different "hot rods" and "Kustoms" during that time period. I had a 33 Plymouth coupe running a flat head ford with three deuces and later it had a 360 Dodge V8 installed. That car got me in trouble several times.(I still have that car) Then later after I got married and "settled down some" I found my first Model T when out "vintage tin hunting" After listening to my Grandpas stories of all his Model Ts and his and grandmas many trips to California during the depression and "grapes of wrath" days I just had to get one going for him to drive again. I have never been with out a Model T since then. So start them young, and they will have rust & oil in their blood for life ... .... .... Someday Ill have to tell about us trying to build a helicopter (it flew one time) and also about the time we blew up my uncles shop. .... ..... .... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Ah, the good old days ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I need a wheel and windshield for one of these mini-Ts if anyone has or knows of any.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration