"The Hunt" Article in Vintage Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "The Hunt" Article in Vintage Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I just received my copy of the Vintage Ford featuring my article on the hunt to find my Grandfathers elusive 1921 Touring. The article layout is very pleasing and I'm happy how it came out. I understand there is only so much space for an article like that, so some of the pictures were cut. I would like to share the photo's that actually show the car I'm looking for in more detail in the hopes it may help in the search and get me some good information on it's whereabouts. It was Massachusetts registration 55651 and was used in advertising for Grants store in Middleboro Mass in the 1950's. At one point it had a SSAAC badge on the radiator and a cursive "Middleboro" nametag on the radiator that both didn't not get sold with the car. Other details in the Vintage Ford article. Again, a VERY long shot, but you never know. Would be nice to find out where it went. I can be reached at mkfoye@comast.net if you have any leads. Thank you - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 02:14 am:

I notice it has a later 23-25 wind screen. Did you have an engine number for it? I will keep an eye out. I am in nearby Rhode Island. A guy I know just got a touring car that that vintage, but it is Canadian with the both side doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 06:51 am:

It is a '23 touring in those photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

The body and engine and running gear are 21. The top and windshield are 23. The car started life as a 21. Pictured are the changes made to the car by my Grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Just got a nice letter from Elkins Park Pennsylvania saying they were delighted to read the article in the VINTAGE FORD and wishing me the best of luck on my challenge on locating the car. Don Foye had friends worldwide and nice to see some folks rooting for me on this 'hunt'. I'm working with some other leads as well, any additional help is always welcome for this LLOONNGG shot......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

What is the animal in the second picture? Is it a large cat? Seems quite tame for a wild cat.

If you have the VIN number, it might be possible to find the car. But cars get painted, and sold and many times wrecked and parted out. Sometimes moved to another state or country. With a VIN number, some kind person with a 21 who frequents this forum might just contact you.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Looks like a golden retriever to me . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:36 am:

That's "Taffy" Dog. Went everywhere with the family. I am working on digging the VIN, but again, trying to find it may be a challenge searching through any remaining paperwork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:02 am:

A large, wild cat ??? Norm, you need to get out of the house more often ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Got VERY lucky today and found pictures of the car I'm hoping to find that belonged to my Grandfather. Both insurance company searches came up short on VIN or other clues, so the hunt continues. Pictured are various stages of the car when they first got. Pictured are my grandfather Donald, his mother in law Eva whose husband Edward found the car and brought it home. My father Dennis with his brother Doug. Somebody mentioned a large cat walking around in the pictures showing the car painted light canary yellow, WELL, the 'big cat' is back sitting on the hood this time and another shot of it running towards the front passenger tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

What a great story.. Good luck Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Wow! My Vintage Ford just arrived. It is always great when the postman can get through. I like the new look. Susan and her helpers have done well. Thanks to all who help and are going to help.

Matt's photos above are fun to see too. What year would those have been taken?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Matt, don't give up. About 15 years ago Monty a friend of mine was looking for his dads touring car. He said his dad sold it in my area back in the mid 60's. He placed a big ad in Old Car Weekly which turned up nothing. I said I would ask around to every body I knew with T's and I come up with nothing, then a couple of years later I was talking with a local customer in my shop and he commented on a Model T coil I had on the shelf. I said I was surprised he knew what it was and he said my dad has Model T's which surprised me that there was a shed full of T's and parts that close to home. He started talking and describing his dads favorite T. That's when I realized it was the T I was looking for,I told him that I knew the family that sold it to his dad. I called Monty and told him where it was and he and his wife and kids came down to look at it and found out it was not for sale. Then this summer the old widow called me and said she wanted to sell every thing except that T because her son wanted to keep it. Then about a week later she called me back and said it was for sale. So I called Monty and told him it was for sale. Guess what, after 50 plus years Monty finally got his car back in the family all because someone asked me about a Model T coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Dean, thanks for sharing that great story and happy ending. That's really incredible how that worked out. Thanks again. I hope I have that luck !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Had a few other leads on this search. Been bringing poster boards to car shows and have met a lot of nice people along the way. Still no solid leads. Hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Still hoping and looking. Found another picture... any leads out there? What a nice surprise it would be if someone in MTFCA land had any info. Thanks as always

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Matt, I'm a little confused. You said the "car started life as a '21" but the '23-'25 slant windshield wouldn't fit on a '17-'22 body. And the touring in your pics has a 'One Man' top with no visible evidence of bracketry for a '21 top. Maybe another owner of grandad's touring changed the title to match the appearance (1923) and you're still looking for a 1921 ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

The radiator has an unusual slant to it for some reason.

That might be another good clue to look for in the search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:32 am:

George, I'm told it's a 21, but had a 23 windshield and a one man top from a 23. I don't know if the windshield from a 23 would or wouldn't fit the 21 body. You're the first to bring that up. From the pictures, can you tell what year exactly each of the parts in question are? That may help. I can only go by what I'm told was done to the car. I also agree the radiator looks funky, and may be a clue. Any help is appreciated, thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Going by the pics the body is 23 in my opinion. Having a slant windshield and a one man top are the signs of a 23. Could be the engine was changed years ago and it happened to come out of a 21. Is there any history of the car before your Grandfather acquired it? The engines would be a direct changeout and was a common practice way back when.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Ryan on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Matt I think I know the guy who owned the car. Tim
Foley but he sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

terry, you spelled "stole" wrong...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration