Dual exhaust manifold.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dual exhaust manifold.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 04:41 am:

It took most of yesterday to do it, but I got the manifold fitted with some difficulty. Both the exhaust manifold and the repro. alloy intake needed considerable relief before they would line up with the ports.

All of this was done after I had to relieve the firewall to get some clearance around the flange.

Today I fitted the exhaust system that I built on a separate chassis, and it fitted right away.

I had to re-route the fuel line away from the larger exhaust pipe. It now runs under the frame rail.

It still sounds much like a standard T but has a more purposeful sound. I will road test it in the morning.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Allen, I added Chaffins split exhaust manifold years ago. Along with the "enlarged" intake manifold the power response increase was significant. For mufflers, I ran both into a good size glasspac and then into a 3" exhaust. It has a "throaty" but pleasant sound. But, the carb adjustment rod no longer had a direct path, dash to the NH. So, some sort of flexible coupling needed to be the link. At one time Chaffins provided a braid cable link which give you some sort of "mushy" link between the two but my understanding that's no longer the case. Hope you are pleased with your effort. Give us a read after your trial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Allan - I cannot speak from actual experience, however, what I have learned from this forum over the years gives me an idea that you might consider:

As long as you have added two modifications that add to your "T's performance, you might consider a Stromberg OF carburetor. That carburetor is well known as an excellent choice for a Model T that adds considerable performance in the form of just plain "good running" as well as speed & power, and it would solve a problem for you in that it is a "set it and forget it" carburetor and therefore needs no dashboard adjustment control for "mixture". And the choke would be very easy to operate via choke cable,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

It is surprising to me the difference in the castings of these parts. I have fit a couple of high flow aluminum intake manifolds that required grinding some clearance on the intake to make it fit without hitting the stock exhaust manifold. When I built my speedster engine, I put a repro dual exhaust manifold and a high flow aluminum intake manifold on and did not have to do any grinding. Both parts fit perfectly with clearance between them. I did have to angle the port side of the intake a little so the Stromberg RF would not hit the frame. It looks like Allen had to do quite a bit of grinding on both parts.

I run two 1-1/2" straight pipes out the back, and turned down. I do have a couple of shorty motorcycle baffles I can slip into the end of each pipe if I want to mellow out the bark just a little. It's not loud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Dennis, I had the same problem with the alloy manifold fitting it when the standard exhaust manifold was in place. This new fitment was something else.

Harold, it's difficult to see, but under the steering column on the second photo is one of Stan's rebuilt OFs. It has an attachment on the throttle arm to hook up a foot pedal. This attachment allows independent operation of both the hand and foot throttle. I love that carb. It performs beautifully and is much more economical than the NH.

Australia Day today and we are off to a barbecue, so the test run is on hold.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Isn't it Australia day every day when you are there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:30 am:

You bet, Chris. But this one is different. We have a national holiday on this day. 26 January is the date of the arrival of the First Fleet of ships with English convicts to settle. The native Australians call it Invasion Day, and want the commemoration shifted from that date.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Native Americans aren't particularly found of "Columbus Day" in the US either. To them, it's like celebrating Hitler Day in Israel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration