OT - Alkali Ike's Auto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Alkali Ike's Auto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:37 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1Y64Hdp7w

Here's an old short from 1911 where "Alkali Ike" (real name Augustus Carney) trades a couple of horses for a jalopy to impress a lady, Betty Brown (Margaret Joslin) - without much success..

The car was well worn in 1911, seems to be about 1905 vintage with a by then old fashioned under the seat engine placement and a replaced radiator.

Maybe it's a one cylinder Cadillac?

caddd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I can't find it, but there was discussion about a vehicle with that same shape cowl area not too long ago. Thanks for the video :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:07 am:

the car had a 4 cyl motor under it .there is an old hcca mag that has a story about it . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:22 am:

I think it is a 1906-8 Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I believe it is a REO about 1908. The tanks and cowl match. The tank atop the radiator have been changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

This is why I thought REO. The gas and water tanks look the same. The cowl is very similar but more bulbous on the movie car. the shifter on the seat, bulb horn and steering quadrant match also.

"Just Sayin'"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

P. S. Notice he is cranking from the side like a 2 cyl Reo would. Also the matches in the dummy filler neck at right.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

yup!! i should have watched the video. it is a reo. the car i am talking about is a lot bigger. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Charley, if you still have your old Gazettes, check out Vol.32 No.3 (1970) and Vol.34 No. 2 (1972). "Alkali Ike" was a 1910 Hunt. There were some great photos of the restoration as well as William H Hunt the builder who was 95 at that time. Thanks for dredging up the memories of that great car.

Also, thanks to Roger. That video is as wonderful now as it was back in the day. Where else but the forum would we see these great things?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

I'm smarter now than I was. I agree with Richard, where else could you find this large a pool of knowledge about so many things?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

thanks a lot Richard. you saved me a lot of time. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

The sidelight brackets look like REO too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration