Gas Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Has anyone tried putting white vinegar in a 1927 gas tank to clean out rust ??? If so did it take a long time ?? .. Thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

I used muriatic acid to clean my 1926 cowl tank. Many here don't like to use and advise against it, but I have been using it for 45 years to clean off rust and to me, there is nothing better as long as one uses the proper safety precautions.

After all the rust was cleaned out, I neutralized with a solution of baking soda and water. Once neutralized, I flushed with clean water, then dried using a Milwaukee heat gun to quick dry the interior and prevent the development of surface rust. Once dried and cooled down, I plugged the outlet with a male brass plug, poured in a quart of POR 15, screwed on the gas cap and shook the gas tank every which way until all interior surfaces on both sides of the baffles were coated, I then unscrewed the brass outlet plug and poured the POR 15 back into the original can for future use. You will be surprised at how much you have left. Once I got out as much POR 15 as possible, I cleaned off the threads of the outlet and gas cap opening. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:22 am:

I'd find a use for the remaining POR, it won't keep long. I used it on another vehicle gas tank that I purchased new and treated it prior to installation. I have a clear in line gas filter on that jeep, and it hasn't turned the POR color after 4 years, so I'm happy with the results.

But when I opened my sealed can of POR 15 a month or so later to treat some wheels, it was very lumpy and starting to cure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Thanks Jim.... Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration