Car has not been started for 2 years.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Car has not been started for 2 years.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

I have a 1926 coupe which is wired the original way with negative ground. Two years ago, I accidentally connected my 6v battery up backwards and fried my generator and voltage regulator. I ordered a rebuilt generator from Brent Mize and voltage regulator from Fun Projects. I have not started my T since and have finally gotten around to working on it and getting it running again. Now with the generator and voltage regulator installed, a new 6v battery, 5 gallons of fresh, non-ethanol gas, 4 quarts of 5w 30 oil and 2 gallons of fresh Zerex IAT antifreeze, my T just turns over using the starter, but will not start. The spark coils buzz strongly and the lights work fine. My T ran fine just before my screwup.

Would you say that the most likely culprit to a garage kept Model T not starting after 2 years would be the carburetor?

I'm thinking I will order a carburetor rebuild kit and clean the carb real good and see what happens.

Since I have not run it in 2 years, do you think that hooking my battery up backwards could have damaged my magneto?

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

I would certainly check the carb. Drop the bowl after draining to see how gummed up it might be. I would also remove the timer and clean it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

I doubt hooking up the battery polarity wrong would hurt the magneto unless you hooked the battery up to the magneto by mistake somehow. I would drop the bowl on the carb and see what is in there. If you have a gas shut off close it and then open it with the float dropped and the bowl off to see if you are getting gas. Put a container under the carburetor to catch the gas. If you are getting gas to the carburetor you might have a valve stuck open that is keeping you from drawing gas after sitting for so long. Take the valve cover off and make sure they are all closing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I like your quote on your member page!

I suspect the carb too. But I would shut the fuel off, and remove the screen from the shut off body, clean it if needed, and then open the valve and pour some fuel through the line, and see how well it flows. Put it back together. Assuming you have the same carb I have, then open the carb bowl drain, and fuel valve, see what comes out. If you have poor flow then pull the bowl. I would suspect the the jets are gummed up. Little carb cleaner and a thin wire. Maybe a new gasket kit, and I bet your good to go. PS I keep a gasket kit in the tool box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Remove the spark plugs put a drop in each cylinder and see if it fires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I would definitely pull the carb and clean it out if gas has been sitting. My carb on my 26 rpu sat for 2 months last year and the float was stuck. Cleaned it out put in New gaskets and a reset the float and she runs great. Now I turn off the fuel and run the cars dry and open the drain before I put them up. Just my experience. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

If you use fuel stabilizer and can get 100% gas they seem to be able to sit without starting much longer. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions, all. Thanks Jason. I should have said I have an NH Carburetor. I do use 100% gas with Stabil fuel stabilizer in my T, but over the 2 years, much of the gas evaporated and what was left (about an inch in the bottom), smelled funny. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 12:29 am:

So much for stabil. You state the coils are buzzing so your switch was probably on batt not mag. Coils buzzing usually means spark at the plugs so on to fuel. Open your Carb drain & flush a bit though if there was crud in the tank the carb's loaded too. That's the problem with stabil. Dumped in & "I'm protected". No you ain't. All you did, because it sat longer than you expected, is set yourself up for a Carb rebuild/fuel system flush. If you had drained it you'd be driving now. Guaranteed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Have any kids messed with the mix ?? reset fuel mixture. Did you have the gas turned on. Sometimes it's the simplest little thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Jim, you pretty much answered the question to your issue when you said "it smelled funny". Bingo. Bad gas. Probably turned to varnish also in the carb. Believe it or not you can soak the entire carb in a can full of (yep, here it comes) good old lacquer thinner for a while and you'll be surprised at how clean it'll turn out. Including needing new paint! Give it a try. Obviously the next question is the fuel in the tank. I'd drain it out and sniff the tank to see how bad it smells and shine a flashlight in it to see how "varnishy" it too might be. The sediment bulb will probably need the same treatment as the carb too. Stabil is great, I swear by it, but it's only good for a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Drain the gas from the tank, remove the carb and clean it up with laquer thinner or something similar. I did the same thing with my 1919 Roadster which had sat up about a year.

I cranked and cranked, scratched my head to no avail.

I drained the carburetor first and then the gas tank. Put about 2 gal. of gas in it and it started up.

My gas didn't smell 'old' but I changed it anyway. Then it started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:56 am:

While cranking have someone spray a little ether or brake cleaner or even hair spray in the carb, when you get a couple of bangs it sure isn't the ignition, and a carb cleaning is in order..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Thanks Leo. That was gonna be my suggestion too. Shot of starting fluid in the carb. If it fires then, you know you got a fuel problem. As a matter of fact, you'd be surprised how often that's all it needs. The ether gets it to run for a few seconds and that sometimes seems to free up things and it starts picking up fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Update: Yep. It was the carburetor. Last time I installed the carburetor, in 2010, I had the float set at precisely 15/64" from the machined surface of the flange, yet, when I took the carb apart this time, the float was set at 3/8". I cannot, for the life of me, imagine how the float can get that far out of adjustment by just sitting there. I would think that, as long as the float were not disturbed it would stay set at the proper setting forever. Another Model T mystery. Anyway, I Rebuilt, adjusted and installed the carb, poured in 5 gals of fresh, ethanol free gasoline and Ol' Miss Daisy immediately started right up and ran fine on BATT and MAG. She's never sounded sounded so good. Very pleased that the generator and Voltage regulator works and charges the battery as intended. With the lights off, the ammeter shows a charge of 6v. With the lights off, it discharges at about 4v, so I believe the generator adjustment is pretty good. Good to be able to drive Miss Daisy again through the quiet neighborhoods of Bartow, FL and having people wave and children running along side. It's amazing how a Model T can generate such glee by merely driving by. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration