1916 Front Fender Fitment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1916 Front Fender Fitment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Looking for close up pictures for reference to help me get correct fitment of the front fenders on my 1916 project. I have new fenders but they seem to have excess material in some areas. I am reluctant to cut/reshape or remove material until I have a bit more of a guide as to how they should look. Would love a pictures of the following-
Fitment of fender behind radiator and along hood wooden sill, Fitment of fender to running board, side view and under side view and area around bonnet former. any suggestions, ideas and input much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

You need to have all the associated parts more or less in place in order to adjust their relationship one to another. I often wonder how much "adjustment" was part of the factory routine. Any road, many things will have changed some in the intervening years. Otherwise, it's just Model T routine - pound to shape, beat to fit, paint to suit !

Pictures will be of some help, but I don't have a '16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:10 am:

Warwick, a good fit may well depend on who made your new guards. Rootlieb products are excellent. Others vary.
I would first fit the valence panel and the running board. If your valences are originals, they will dictate where the running board fits. This in turn will indicate whether the running board brackets are in the correct spot.

If that all works, the mudguard can be clamped to the running board and the position of the fender iron checked against the bracket in the mudguard. These brackets can be readily manipulated. Before bending them front to back as required, I suggest they be clamped next to one another on a piece of RHS so that you can make sure they are at the same angle.

Hopefully then the flat along the frame rail fits at the front and back.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration