Shortening axle for car Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Shortening axle for car Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Any one have a link to shortening an axle on 26-27 car axle for ruxtell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:00 am:

The axle isn't shortened just the housing. I believe Chaffins does it or they have new or good used ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

That's what I meant. Is it shortened from both ends of the housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Drivers side has a shorter tube
To accept the extra diff parts (internal)
But the housing is same length from the centerline to the outer end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:50 am:

Get your kit from Chaffins. You will send in your left axle housing to be properly shortened and re-riveted to the axle tube. They include all the stuff you need to get the job done except the axle seals, sleeves and hyatt bearings (if you use the stock set-up). Double check your components to make sure they are within spec though. I did my first Model T axle rebuild with a Chaffin's Ruckstell kit. It was actually fun and relatively straight-forward to build up. Nothing like having CNC machined parts to work with either. Four years and many miles later it still works great and is quiet as a well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Richard
Back in the '70's when I started in T's I found a earlier Ruxstell and wanted to use it in my 27. I had access to a good machine shop where I worked. So I cut the outer end off and welded the outer end of the 26-7 tube in place. That rear axle is still in good service. So with suitable care it can be done. I have no idea of your skills or tools access

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

I built a wide track Ruckstell for a preacher in Arkansas about ten years ago. I made a set of jigs to hold the ends in alignment, cut a set of housings two inches longer on each side, welded them together and it is still in service and doing fine. The trick was to use a sleeve to line the tubes and a straight piece of angle to hold them straight. Took me all day to do the first set, the second set I could have done in a couple hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

I built a wide track Ruckstell for a preacher in Arkansas about ten years ago. I made a set of jigs to hold the ends in alignment, cut a set of housings two inches longer on each side, welded them together and it is still in service and doing fine. The trick was to use a sleeve to line the tubes and a straight piece of angle to hold them straight. Took me all day to do the first set, the second set I could have done in a couple hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I have no idea how that happened...............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Deleted

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on January 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

A few years ago I assisted clearing a pile of T parts and I ended up with 30 left hand axle housings. I contacted Glen Chaffin and he bought them all. He uses them to build up his Ruckstell kits. He told me all he did was cut them at the join between the tube and the center housing and then the tube of the axle housing fits directly into the new Ruckstell housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

It happens to me.........

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration