Old Photo - Model T Era Street Scene, Southern Hotel, Bakersfield, Ca.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era Street Scene, Southern Hotel, Bakersfield, Ca.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

This was kind of interesting . . .

The hotel was built on the site of the original wooden Southern Hotel after a huge fire burned much of downtown Bakersfield. Apparently first built without the top floor.

Sometime later, it was "modernized" and called the New Southern Hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Now it's gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

How To Turn Solid Gold Bars Into Pure Sh!t, by Johnny Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

So what are the big touring cars? Both have distinctive top irons and dual spares. Pierce Arrow maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

You sure that isn't the same building, just had another "modernization?" The foot print and height look the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

That early building looked like brick. Back in 1952 there was a major earthquake at Tehachape which is near Bakersfield. It did some major damage around L.A. I was in Montrose about 101 miles from Bakersfield and it woke me up. Many chimneys were knocked and the V.A. hospital was damaged. I would suspect that old building might have been damaged in that earthquake if not in an earlier one. The new codes use reinforced concrete rather than bricks.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

I always get to Bakersfield a day early for the swap meet. The antique shops in town are plentiful and well stocked.

See ya in April,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:50 am:

I recall passing through Bakersfield soon after the quake and seeing the Chester Avenue clock tower with its top missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:37 am:

According to page 7 of the 8/9/46 Bakersfield Californian, the hotel was to be torn done and replaced by a $400,000 Penney Co. department store. You can get the whole article if you have a subscription to newspapers.com, which I don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Egads, there's a '46 Chevy in blue, and a '52 Dodge P/U behind it in factory green w/ yellow wheels. I used to own a '46 Blue (same shade) Chevy and I still own a '53 Dodge P/U in green w/yellow wheels. Spooky! And I almost bought a Studebaker just like that, but it had been in a flood so we didn't (bought the Chevy instead--the Stude would have been the better choice after we found out all the problems the Chevy had!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

David I dont think thats a chevy. Looks to be a plymouth or dodge .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Dallas,
Possibly, picture's a little grainy, but looks like Chev taillights and the belt trim is similar--I figured it was an Areosedan; mine was a club coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:45 am:

That's a small Mopar - Plymouth or Dodge - just ahead of the Dodge truck.

Is that a Tucker on the far side of the street, under the Coca Cola sign ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:55 am:

Rats, so much for a co-incidence. My Dad had a Tucker on order, lost $250 (down payment) somewhere around here I have his letter confirming his order. (I'm a little worried about where I've put it, as I haven't seen it in a while). Found it in Dad's papers after he passed away. My habit of saving everything must be inherited!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Front end/bumper doesn't seem right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

'49, '50, or '51 Pontiac

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration