OT Maybe? Shars Tool Company

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Maybe? Shars Tool Company
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Has any one here bought anything from Shars Tool Company? Is their stuff any good. I am looking at a 3" 3 jaw chuck on a 5c mount. Says made in Japan, I think it has to be China. let me know what you think of the Shars Co. You can PM me if you do not want to post here. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

I bought a 3/4 shank inserted internal threading tool from them awhile back. Their delivery was quick and the tool quality is high. That's the limit of my experience with them, but I plan to buy from them in the future given the positive outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Dan:
I have purchased from Shars on several occasions ...I was always satisfied with their description and quality...usually small items like drills , taps, cutters etc. ...and , most notably "Kurt" imitation vises ...I have 3 of their lock down type vises at less than 1/2 the price of Kurt or parlec etc. ...no problems for me to report...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Dan, I bought there 3" 3 jaw 5c chuck and chucked up a 1/2" dowel pin and measured .003 runout. I reground the jaws and it repeats to .0002. The scroll Is not very smooth but acceptable. Good for quick jobs.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Man, a 3-jaw that repeats to 0.0002? That's pretty remarkable. If you haven't done so, take it apart see why it isn't smooth. The guts must be solid in order to repeat like that. I purchased an import live center (not Shars) and took it apart before running it. Glad I did. Awful quality grease and not very much of it. Cleaned it, packed it, and it has many happy miles on it now. Your chuck might just be something stupid like that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration