No Compression

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No Compression
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Was on the way in to town for the Australia Day Display when she started missing.
Got it home and found No 1 had no compression. The exhaust valve wasn't seating. The retaining cup at the bottom of the spring was hammered through and the retaining pin and bottom of the valve stem were up inside the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I've done that twice. Newer retainers are not as thick as the old original ones. After the second time I replaced them all with old ones. No issues since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

This is the reason that I always use the modern style valves, spring retainer and keepers. They will not wear out like what you have pictured.

These photos show the small block Chevy exhaust valve with Model T spring. Ford 9N tractor spring retainer. It makes a nice combo I purchase the valves and retainers from local parts suppliers. Valves, springs, retainers and retainer clips total cost is less than the valves alone from the Model T parts suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Mike,I use the chevy spring cups and keepers. They fit perfectly and have not had any problems.I always put new valve springs in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Hi Tony,

I had that happen. I lost three of them before I arrived at work (yes, I was commuting in the Model T). I installed some used ones and got home without further incident.

Closer inspection that evening showed that the three broken ones were all noticeably thinner than other spring retainers I had. I mean visually thinner; no need to grab a measuring device.

This prompted further digging through ALL of my spares. All were "thick". "Hmmm" said I, as I stroked my beard and eyed my coupe with suspicion. The valve cover was soon off and the remaining Gang of Five examined. THIN. All thin steel. I concluded that they were some of those Spurious Parts which the Ford Motor Company warned us against. The offenders were all removed sooner than you could say "Jack Robinson".

So, Tony, please check ALL of your spring retainers as someone before you may have saved a dime using aftermarket parts. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Jack, I agree, I also always use new springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Tony, in Australian, substitite Holden V8 valve spring caps and collets, installed in the oil seal groove on shortened V8 exhaust valves.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

A quick check on Ebay I found valves and retainers for $45.88 total. Still need springs and the retainer clips but you can see the cost is very low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331509215970?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151859378211?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:27 am:

Thanks for all the information. I'll check out the options and follow up.
Bill. thanks for that advise.. the others are worn but not so thin.
Alan
Thanks for the Holden=Chev advice... what are we looking at ..253? 308? of that era or later?
In the meantime I've re-installed one from the spare parts department to get me through the coming weekend display I want to go to.. Allora Heritage Weekend is always good value and only 60 k's away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Tony, was this spring cup one of the new repros that the vendors are selling, and the ones we see so many failures of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:40 am:

John. No .. it was one of the original ones reused when the engine was rebuilt .. I guess when we get to 91 years old we are entitled to wear down a bit!!! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration