Model Ts at L.A. Classic Auto Show 2017

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model Ts at L.A. Classic Auto Show 2017
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

The Long Beach Model T Club was invited to attend the first annual Los Angeles Classic Auto Show at the Los Angeles Convention Center. This event will open Friday through Sunday this week. Many stars of the Velocity Channel will be recording shows and we may get some air time.
This morning, we loaded in six of our members' vehicles. Here are a few photos of the set up:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

The show is a real Class Event so far and I hope lots of people show up to see all the cars. Looks like lots of amazing cars coming in. Our club members will be manning the display area answering questions and scouting for new members.

Ironically the two most popular car models in the world are displayed next to each other. The Model T's and the VW Bugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Gene: Sorry, I didn't get a good shot of your Torpedo when I took the shots posted. We'll have plenty of time to get some more photos over the next three days. Here's our view of the VWs :-)
VW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Wow, that split window VW bug looks to be in great shape, and worth a FORTUNE! They are super rare.

Bill, looks like you're all gonna have a great weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Thanks Bill and Gene
I sure would like to attend that event.
Only time I was at the convention center was 50 years ago for a boat show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Got to thinking. More like 45 years ago.
I still would to experience the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Kirk, Your sure missing a great show of many different types and styles of cars and picups. It seems like there is something for any type of auto enthusiast to look at an admire.

We were so fortunate to be invited to fill a section during the show. There is one other Early Ford club display by a Model A club on the far side but as you can see the Long Beach Club is So Professional looking!

I think we're all amazed at how well organized the event is. They provided us with underground parking for our trailers and cars and extra event passes. General admission is $25 I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

We're all set up and ready to start:
Z

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

I have a bone stock 1956 oval window vw bug in my stable, its a great little car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Looks like 5 happy campers! Gene, which one is you? Since I've only "talked" to you via internet. Been almost 20 years since we've been out to Huntington Beach, sure loved it then.

Ed, your car is probably really neat! I think '53 was the last of the split windows? We had one from the early 60s til my stupid sister ran it without oil. 'Nuf said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

When I was in junior high school, I had a friend whose father owned one of the first VWs in St. Louis. It was a '49 split window. This photo was taken in January 1956. We weren't old enough to have drivers licenses then, but we had both learned to drive from our dads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Here's a sample of a few of the other cars at the show:
QW
ER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

UI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Things are heating up at the show. Gene's Torpedo is popular.
H

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Dick, was that you're friend in the bug? You lucky dawg you!

Bill, I can't see Gene's torpedo! Something's (er, someone's) blocking the view! Nice. All three. Ohhh how I love California!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Here are a few additional photos of our club display:
AS
DFG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:11 am:

Tim, I glad Bill didn't post the "other" pic with me and girls in front of the Torpedo. ha ha ha

Friday being the first day of the show we had lots of people interested in the cars with tons of questions and comments. I expect Saturday and Sunday will be an even bigger crowd. found out the ticket at the door today was $30!!

Some Amazing VW's next us. I learned today that there was an early bus that had more than 21 windows and got to take a look at one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Since the VWs are such a hit... Here's a few more shots:
ZX
CV
B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:38 am:

By the way, I think the girls liked my car as well :-)
C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:01 am:

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/la-classic-auto-show-debuts-now

Some professional coverage of the show. Link above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:59 am:

That Bus is the same model and color as my childhood best friend's father's (he was the high school science teacher). Sadly, he moved away about when I was in 8th grade, and we've lost contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:43 am:

The bus is a 1956 to 1958 23 window Deluxe. 58 was the last year of the pressed steel bumpers. Have been involved with VW's since 1968. Original colors would be Chestnut Brown over Sealing Wax Red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:44 am:

I seen the Type 82 and had to show a picture of my other toy the Type 181 (VW Thing)

my Thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Bill,

What is the purpose of the additional short smaller exhaust tailpipe at the end on the red #7 race car? Thanks for all the pix.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:36 am:

I thought Things came with matte paint. It looks like fun. I wonder whether that one in the show is a genuine Kubelwagen, or a Thing in Wehrmacht uniform. At least you didn't have to pay the new 20% import tax!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Humble Howard's racer has an exhaust cut out to reduce noise.
The Kubelwagen is real. Did duty in Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:16 am:

The VW Thing was only available for purchase thru dealers in the US in 1973 and 74. Yellow and Orange were the primary colors available though there was an Acapulco Thing in blue and white stripe paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Also the little blue car with retractable canvas roof is a Nissan Figaro. Pretty cool retromobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Orange, Yellow, White, Green and the Acapulco which was white with blue hood and bumpers and blue/white striped seats and surrey top. They were not shinny when new but I wanted to spiff it up a little and keep it mostly original. Mine is a 74. I would love to have Red #7 but I would love to have them all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Wow that looks like one classy show!

Ed that's one nice looking bug you got there.

Gene..thanks! Hard to believe there's yet another split window pictured! Wow. And as for the 21 window bus, those are worth over 100 grand in restored condition! Unreal. When I was a kid all we had was a standard bus, but it was real pretty. Nicest combo of gray and that sort of off white. It was a lemon though.

Bill, yes those chicks do look like they're loving it!! :-)

Enjoy the show, wish I was there with my '12 or '13. Hey, maybe you can talk 'em into replacing the OCF..ha ha...then it'd be too far for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Here are some new photos from today. We changed up the display to allow a more welcoming environment
AX
CB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

That's a gorgeous LaSalle Roadster. The yellow Model A Duesenberg behind it is pretty nice too. Interesting story on that car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Wow, I would love to attend that show. The Philly Auto Show is in full swing this week, but they only have a smallish display from AACA. I think that Kubelwagen may be a real one - note the additional ribs on the doors, placement of the door handles, tow hooks on the bumper, quite a few differences from the Thing. Talk about rare, if it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Here's the Duesenberg:

D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I love the truck in the second picture!

Also tell the lady in the long maroon dress that it is OK to smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Fast Frank with Ed Iskenderian & the Egge boys
VN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Casey Maxon & Mark Gessler of the Historic Vehicle Association stopped by the booth. They drove a '15 Touring across the country to commentate Edsel Ford's run over 100 years ago

NC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Ron, What's the "interesting story" on the Duzy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

We're at the last day of the show & I finally got a chance to walk around and check out the rest of the displays. This one really caught my eye:
B
N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Fast Frank looks good !!!

Hi from George n Missouruh !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 02:10 am:

Here are some more pics, non Ford, but interesting.
Don't buy a Chevy, the springs are weak

Citroen modified to Ranchero style tow vehicle

Gooseneck trailer with Citroen hydraulic suspension for hauling race car

Citroen Bonneville record holder

1941 Chrysler Town and Country barrel back sedan
Ronald Regan's Jeep
Meyer's Manx number one
American La France speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 03:23 am:

Great pictures Bill & Jeff - and by the way,....I think that Citeoen model for towing is probably known in France as a "Citroen Ranchereoux"! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:13 am:

The Chrysler Town & Country has a banner (I found Lost River) in the back from a New Hampshire tourist attraction, Lost River

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Good one Harold! I knew I was spelling it wrong. I never really cared for those cars, but I really liked that one and the whole tow car, trailer, and race car setup. A lot of work and a lot of thought went into that, especially the trailer suspension set-up using all Citroen parts.

As for the Chrysler, I have seen several Town and Country cars, as well as several Ford and Mercury versions, and of course, many many wooden station wagons, but I didn't know that there was a big four door sedan with an almost fastback design, and the rear swing doors instead of a trunk lid is very unique. The big wooden canoe really "tops it off."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

If I remember correctly, the vehicle known as The Thing in the USA was called the Safari in Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

The Kubelwagen is interesting. Last time I was at the antique autos in the park show in San Jose there was a guy there with a Scwimmen Wagen, the amphibious variant of the Kubelwagen. Über rare.
The ALF speedster is a sight to see. There have been quite a few of them cut down in similar fashion. Having driven a bunch of miles on a 1917 ALF pumper, I can say it is a brute to drive. You can't turn the steering wheel unless the truck is moving. Once you are up to speed it isn't bad. It gets 4 miles per gallon of gas. I have had it up to 55mph, ALF claimed it would do 70, and I believe it. In a speedster you could increase the size of the drive sprockets and really haul ass. The engine is something like 900 Inch displacement. It is not that big to move the truck, but to power the 750 gpm pump. It makes quite a sound with a straight pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

A few years ago a Canadian fellow brought a big fire-truck-derived speedster to the North Jersey HCCA tour. It smoked enough to kill every mosquito in three counties, sounded like a squadron of WWII bombers taking off, and went like a bat out of hell. Now in eastern Ontario, where this fellow lives, it's pretty flat, and the roads are long and straight. But we were touring in northwestern NJ and eastern PA, where the roads are narrow and winding. That beast couldn't navigate some of the bends without backing and filling, which was a full-body workout with no power anything! After the first day, he rode with me in my '13 T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:52 am:

http://abc7.com/automotive/la-car-lovers-have-two-big-shows-this-weekend/1725001 /http%3A%2F%2Fabc7.com%2F1725001%2F

Click on the link above to see local TV coverage of the event featuring several of the Long Beach Model T Club cars and members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Looks like we're all set to attend next year as well!

See You There

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Nice shot of Howard's 10-Spoker and Gene get's final billing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Yeah, let's go off-roading in a plastic car with perimeter protection made of tanks of gas held on with hose clamps! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 03:25 am:

That's what I thought and imagine the weight of those tanks even empty.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration