First year for a Model T one ton

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First year for a Model T one ton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Joiner on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Hello,

From what I found online the first one ton model t truck was in 1917, I did see one in an ad that was being sold as a 1914. Could the seller just be mis informed or could there have been one at that time?

Thanks Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Ford production figures show 3 made for 1917 the first year of truck production. It was the 1918 model year that deliveries to the public started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Greg,

Ford Motor Company kept lots of records. Some of those Bruce McCalley (RIP) used to build some great summary charts. At: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/fdprod.htm those records show the first Ford Produced Ton Trucks were assembled in Ford Motor Company's 1918 Fiscal Year. During that time the Fiscal Year ran Aug 1, 1917 to Jul 31, 1918. And they record that 3 Ton Truck chassis were assembled. The next Fiscal Year they assembled 41,105 TT chassis.

While Ford did not produce a Ton truck until FY 1918, several after market companies sold conversion kits to change a Model T car or car chassis into a Ton Truck. So yes there could have been a 1914 Ton Truck for sale, but it would have been an aftermarket conversion.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Layden,

From memory I believe your dates are correct. On page 231 of Bruce's book he states the first 3 were assembled in 1917 as a pilot run. And on page 462 he also shares that production number of 3 under the 1917 fiscal year rather than 1918 fiscal year. I suspect the information is off by one year in the table -- or I misread it?

Respectfully corrected,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I was also able to check Bruce's CD and it appears the "3" in the online table is misplaced under the 1918 line and should be moved to the 1917 fiscal year line. That also makes some of the other numbers off that followed it. We can try to look at the numbers later and make sure they are in the correct column. And then send a note to Chris with the suggested corrections.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

A couple of possibilities here. I have seen several Model T's with truck or depot hack bodies whose owners swore that they were TT trucks. It may also be an early truck kit such as a Form-A-Truck.

Last, it may be a real TT that had an engine changed at some point. Then when someone, years later, restored and registered the truck, the serial number was used to I.D. the year. We have a club member in this exact situation. His TT has a 1913 engine (by the serial number) and nothing could convince the DMV that TT's were not built in 1913. So now he has a 1913 TT truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:24 am:

According to press release of the day (May 1917), the industry was awaiting the Ford Ton truck! Took Ford a while to get going, with delivery really into the 1918 model year as Hap posted.

Motor Age

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:03 am:

What i find shocking about this picture is that the chassis has two tailights??Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Bud

Think shipping from the assembly plant, this TT is fresh from the freight car likely. Side lamps were bolted for shipping that way. The buyer would be buying or building a body for that truck, and then the lamps mounted as necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Hi Bud,

Aw, don't be shocked. The bad camera angle is not showing the two cowl lamps and the one tail lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I believe Dan's right. My TT has a tail light/license plate bracket too, which I believe the truck pictured also does but it can't be seen. All three, I believe, were shipped temporarily fastened to the chassis intended for installation when the cab and body were installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Dan,I understand that but was one sent back to Ford for a refund? Could the TT chassis have been ordered that way? During a short stint at a White/Autocar dealership in 1966 a new Autocar chassis/glider came in priced at $26,000 with no fuel gauge.When i questioned the missing fuel gauge i was told on a truck you ordered everything! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

I wonder what percentage of early production was going to government for the war effort?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration