Any repair ideas for a seeping axle tube joint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Any repair ideas for a seeping axle tube joint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin C. on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Has anyone found a method or product that works for repairing an axle tube joint that seeps a couple drops of lube when the rear axle is warm from driving? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Wipe it off with a rag every so often?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Small drips are pretty much a fact of life with a Model T. Think of it as rust protection. :-)

Seriously, you could try cleaning/degreasing the area of leakage, then wiping on a thin film of quick curing RTV.

red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Do a super de-grease job and apply black RTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

When it stops seeping add lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Royce that was really Funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

John,

It was meant to be practical advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin C. on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

The rear axle is currently apart. The housings have been redi-stripped and are clean inside and out. RTV seems like a band aid. I was thinking about using JB weld on the inside of the joint as a better band aid. Has anyone tried heating and re peening the rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

If it is apart,how do you know it's leaking?? The rivets would be a Bear to buck,so try the sealer of choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Didn't there used to be an accessory made for this problem? It was a pair of long spiral springs that slid snuggly over each axle shaft so that when the axle turned, the spirals would push the grease back toward the pumpkin sort of on the same principle as Archimede's screw. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:06 am:

I repaired a 1914 axle housing where the tube is riveted to the cast center section. The rivets were loose and the housing was in poor shape. I drilled out the rivets, cleaned the parts and then finessed and bolted it back together with round head allen bolts. When everything was in alignment I took it back apart and coated the mating surfaces with JB weld. Also I coated the bolts and nuts with the Epoxy as I assembled it. cleanup is a bit of a chore. After it cured I filled the allen head recesses with bondo. It is difficult to tell it is not original except the heads of the rivets do not vary in shape. That part of the axle housing does not leak.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration