Raffled model t Spedster help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Raffled model t Spedster help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

20+years ago, the Horseless Carriage Club raffled off a yellow brass model t speedster. It was called "Daffodil". Does anyone here know who or where the car is now?

I recently was invited to an estate sale and purchased all the model t parts including a new speedster body that was built by the same builder at the same time as Daffodil. My pile also included a fresh very hot Fronty complete engine with model a crank and a small drum Ruxtel and some early brass t radiators and a lot of other T goodies.

I would like to see some photos of the original daffodil speedster for the fender treatment. I was told that the build used a torpedo hood and underslung chssis.

thnx,

brasscarguy@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I remember Daffodil. It was built by members of the SoCal HCCA and the project was spearheaded by Phil Reed. Phil did most of the work and hauled it to swap meets and car shows selling tickets. It was basically stock. I do not believe the chassis was lowered. I think it used torpedo fenders and I believe a torpedo hood. The body itself was very nicely made.
It had wood wheels and a stock chassis.

There should be a good amount of photos of the car in old HCCA Gazettes. I think there was even a Gazette cover made with the car.It existed before the advent of the internet so I doubt there are photos online, but you never know.

I vaguely remember the car being used after the raffle and I think someone in the LA area won it-maybe even an HCCA member? It was a really nicely built car. I bought a lot of tickets but didn't win!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Phil is still an active member of the Long Beach Model T Club. Maybe someone in the club could ask him. I would think that if anyone would remember, it would be him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Here is the car. Volume 47, #4, July/August 1984, HCCA Gazette. The story of the car is inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Is that a syverson body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

The car was won by an Ed Johnson at the 1986 National Convention. These I am posting form my 1985 Gazette's. They have given me permission to use their material as long as it isn't for commercial gain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Is Gilbert Metal still in business? The owner was a cousin of a friend here in Excelsior, MN. His lamps were very well done. Who is making the present repros of E&J lamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:14 am:

The body was built by master wood body builder Vic Groah. His wood work was outstanding and by far the best of anyone building bodies.

Sadly Vic has retired and sold off his molds and patterns.

I appreciate those of you that did respond to my inquiry. I now have lots of good input and photos.

thnx

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Phil has a yellow speedster like that in his collection. I don't know if it is the same one. He still goes to work nearly every day at his business.

Electronic Chrome and Grinding
9128 Dice Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA. 90670
www.ecgrinding.com
philsboyer@ecgrinding.com
562-946-6671

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:00 am:

This is Phil's Speedster at the 1975 HCCA Tour in Sun Valley. It is not Daffodil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Darel,

Gilbert Metal Products is still in business. Wayne Erickson and, I believe, his son run the business now. They still produce all the lamps that they have been making for many years and the quality is still outstanding.

They are located on St. Louis Drive in South El Monte, CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I saw Phil on Monday and asked him if he knew the whereabouts of the car. He said it was in Canada, and that someone in one of the Canadian chapters should know where it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Does anyone know how successful the raffle was in 1968? It was a great volunteer effort but I can't recall if they told how much was earned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

I believe Phil said they raised about $45,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Wow, that is great.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:10 am:

Ed Johnson won the raffle and moved the car to the Banning area. Later he donated the car to the Horseless Carriage Foundation who sold it on Ebay. It fetched about $11000 and was bought by a dentist in Ontario Canada.
I was a Board Member at the time and helped pick up the car from Ed and load the car into the transporter. I also checked it over, it was in great condition but the block froze during the trip to the frozen North.

I took a few minutes to find this, it was taken on Sept 19, 2005

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration