A proud family and their Ford-Photo, a good one

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A proud family and their Ford-Photo, a good one
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 08:52 am:

What a nice view of the past and such a clear photo. I just hope he didn't burn a hole in his coat with his cigar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 08:55 am:

I just noticed the big square rear view mirroe on the left side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:13 am:

What is the tube looking device,, under the engine about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Joe, I think that may be the speedometer cable. I think the lady in front must be the mother-in-law.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Speedo cable. Nice clean, crisp photo of a '13

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Nice view of the past and how people dressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:44 am:

First picture I've seen where the subjects didn't look like they just came from a funeral. Even the baby has a grin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Great photo.

Wish the front was shown a bit more, but can't see the big headlamps on a '14, so maybe has accessory electric headlamps?

Do see a wire like wrapping up and around the steering column, as so early accessories had dimmer control at the wheel. With that hind-view mirror, that modern 1914 owner may have been in the city and needed electric lamps and mirror for evening driving in crowded areas.

Note this view of what typical gas lamps should show like in perspective to the radiator.

Another T for comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Must be taken in '14 or later. Notice the 1914 fender. The speedometer cable appears to be a little long!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

The passenger side front door is open, and it appears to be longer and the bottom corners appear to be rectangular. I think that indicates that the body is a 1913.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

whats that on the end of the tail pipe? Maybe a whisle i have one on mine. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

A correct '13 muffler tail pipe would be pointed down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

but it would be curved down not straight .maybe they cut some off then put on the horn. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

The lady in the front pass. seat sure has some serious rings under her eyes.

Larry & Trent, I'm thinkin' this might be a very late '13 what with the '14 fender? Might have ran out of '13 stock fenders and slapped these on, who knows! Almost looks to be black, rather than the "almost black blue"? Hard to tell really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Compared to the wheels, the body looks black. No striping on the body, but the front wheel shows striping on the spokes. Maybe an "all black" very late '13, late enough to have a '14 fender . . . or maybe someone crunched the original fender, and this one was the replacement ??

Dennis - no worries, I don't think the cee-gar is lit ! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Neat car great picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:41 am:

When did they stop making the 13 style bodies with the doors which went clear to the bottom line of the body, like this car?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:29 am:

Allan B, Like so many things to do with our beloved model Ts, there is no clear cut line on that answer.
Basically, the 1913 STYLE touring cars went from autumn '12 through the end of the model year about August of 1913. HOWEVER, the touring body was weak in the rear floor and seat support design. A few efforts were made to try to improve the support. Mid year bodies had steel brackets added which are quite rare today, and used an additional mount to the frame as well. Some bodies had special brackets retrofitted at the dealer's which added some support, but did not require the extra brackets to the frame. But, problems with the cars continued. Somewhat before the end of the '13 model year production, Ford expedited the design of the new 1914 model. By June of '13, they were on order from the body supplier companies. By mid July, they were being installed on some chassis at the factory. Apparently, both the new and old style touring bodies were being used for a couple months at least.
Now, another "however". There is evidence that the runabout bodies continued to be used in the '13 style well into the '14 model year. Because they did not carry the weight of a rear seat and passengers, the strength of the body sills was not an issue. These seem to have been changed to the newer style well before the calendar year ended. Ford often ran some models later than its related model. I also have read that the 1912 open roadster/runabout ran late alongside the '13 model year touring cars (again, late in the calendar year, but early in the model year).
As usual, I am more familiar with USA production. Canadian production ran a little differently. Sometimes they were ahead of USA, sometimes behind. Australian bodies were often very different, and quite nice in comparison! But that varied by years, tariffs, wars, and shipping considerations.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:00 am:

The side lamps have an electric bulb installed.
The wire is also visible.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration