Old Photo - Kids Eating Watermelon At An Auto Camp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Kids Eating Watermelon At An Auto Camp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Great picture from the past. The little fellow with the neckerchief on also has laced knickers and rolled down knee socks which were part of the Boy Scout uniform of the 20's They were made of wool. (I have two of them) I wonder if the fellow on the end is also in a uniform seeing that he too has knickers and knee socks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Photos like this one make me wonder how things went for those kids over the next 80 years. Are any still alive? Unlikely. Did any of them fight in WWII? Probably. Did they all suvive? Who knows. Did they have children? Probably.

You get the direction of my thinking.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Others might look at this and see a racist spoof, filling them with the urge to riot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I have been looking for my uncles 1928 Boy Scout membership car to post with this. No luck but I did find some other treasures. The centerdoor (left) and the '24-'25 coupe right would indicate a late twenties photo.

It would make a wonderful painting with the watermelons. I'm add it to the pile.

Thanks for taking Burger, me and the rest of us to this special place.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Sorry if I took this off track. It IS a great photo ! I just have this but running
around in my head about how the most innocent of things get subverted by special
interests and made into something absurdly different .....

This week, the NY Times ran an article about the protests against Trump
by women across the country. The article was not so much about the protests,
or Trump, but about the signage and characterization of the female body part
often referred to by a name associated with cats. The writer's take on this was
one of being offended because as a "transgender" woman, lacking those parts,
he felt "unheard" and marginalized as a man who "identifies" as a woman.

Hmmmm .... Seems like a good excuse for a protest or a riot to me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Henry, you and I are a lot alike. I go through similar thoughts on almost every one of these great old pics that get posted. Absolutely, they're all gone, BUT, they surely have offspring assuming they lived through the war and had kids. So now THATS where I really start to think...where are these relatives, do they maybe have similar, or copies of, this (and the other) pics or not?

I think Burger goes through similar thoughts too. Keep 'em coming Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

MY thoughts are ones of how much less complicated life was. Joys were simple,
work was hard, and life moved at a crawl compared to today. I will bet that watermelon
even was a BIG deal to those kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

-Burger-
The most 'un-understandable' thing is when asked 'what' the protestors are protesting about, or even what they would want changed - - They don't know! Today's millennial's even believe that George W. Bush is responsible for more deaths than Joseph Stalin!! Everyone shows up and gets a participation trophy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Table top was replaced with old tongue and groove flooring :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

The fellow in the leggings could also be in Scouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Good times compared to our rat race life's now. Simpler had to have been a better life look how folks act toward each other these days. Those kids are having fun. I am sure there is a a group out their that claim the little ones are being abused sitting near that unsafe T... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

The boyscouts taught that you put in the work you get the badge. You dont just show up and get rewarded with that badge. A great life lesson. Hope is still the same. Our society today is much different. Maybe we should protest the protesters? No,then we become the problem. Its great to look back and see a simpler time when we didnt get or need instant gratification in every way. Fast food,drivethrough banks,cell phones,tv,A/C,heated seats ect...
Thanks Jay for posting another great photo and the thoughts and discussion that comes with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

After experiencing the unbelievable heat and cold of AFG, the not-open-for-
discussion performance expectations that would *kill* most people, coming
home to people who EXPECT a cushy life is annoying, but when they start
bitching about all the inconveniences as if they are real problems, I get real
short on tolerance. We have SUCH a cushy life compared to T times. All the
benefits of speed and technology has been entirely matched by an equally
accelerated level of stress and fuss. Life was hard back then. No doubt about
it. But life was slow and simple too. My old TT seems slow as cold molasses,
but compared to doing the same work with a team of oxen or horses, it was
lightning fast !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration