Old Photo - 1920's Ferry Building, San Francisco

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - 1920's Ferry Building, San Francisco
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

My grandfather was a ferry boat captain for Southern Pacific Lines, along with other Bay Area companies, including the last California State run ferry run at Benicia in 1962. Grandfather got his captain license after turning the required 21 years old in 1920. He use to talk about watching the bay bridge being built in the mid 1930's, and with each crossing knowing his SP job days would soon come to a end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Another great pic Jay! Serves 3 points of interest for me... old cars, old buildings, boats. Like Kevin's Grandpa, I too was a ferry boat captain, technically a passenger excursion boat, for 21 years on Lake Erie. So I'm still interested in anything nautical, and couple it with all the old cars and buildings, this one's a keeper!

I wonder if any of these great old buildings are still standing, between "progress" (chime in Burger!) and/or the "Great Quake".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Still looks great. Would be better with the old cars sitting around.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:46 am:

The clock tower cannot still be there. Although it survived the great Earthquake of 1906, it was torn down by the giant octopus in 1955's classic horror movie "It Came From Beneath the Sea"! :-)
Actually, it has been quite a while since I have been there. It was nearly lost in the rush to modernization during the 1950s (an interesting and not entirely accidental parallel to the movie). Largely obscured by the building of the Embarcadero freeway, the famous Ferry Building got the last laugh when the Embarcadero was severely damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, and the Ferry Building again survived with relatively minor damage. The entire waterfront has undergone a major rebuilding, some bad, some good. A lot of it is tourist traps. I am sure that Burger would LOVE the place (actually, I can barely stand it myself anymore). The Ferry Building as a centerpiece, has endured.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration