Replace Coil Capacitors?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Replace Coil Capacitors?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I'm stockpiling parts for the arrival of my '24 Touring.

Those who followed John May's thread about this car know that it's been in storage since around 1969.

My question: Should I go ahead and replace the capacitors in the coils? A lot of what I've read seems to indicate that the capacitors in old original coils don't hold up well over time. Is that true?

The capacitor set of 4 from Langs is cheap and I don't mind digging out the old ones and soldering in new ones.

I know how important a solid ignition system is to a Model T (well...to any car) so I want to make sure the coils and the magneto aren't handicapping the car right from the start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Hi Don,

Yes, just replace them and be done with it. You will not need to give them another thought during your lifetime.

Sure, there are some original capacitors still soldiering on even now, but for how much longer? You stated that they are inexpensive; just do it. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:51 am:

My suggestion is to build up 1 or 2 back-up coils and keep them under your Model T's seat, then you're ready if you start having problems while touring. You'll also learn how to re-build coils in advance of any potential problems or need. Once you've done one, the rest are very easy. My experience shows that old working and solid coils can and do continue to work for years to come with just a new set of coil points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Google checking your coils. There is more to it then just replacing the capacitors. If there is an open in the winding's then replacing the capacitors is wasted time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:43 am:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYG_lIhIwKyL1_nmd6sCkGZBwglKpRWA3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

That's a great set of videos....thanks for the link.

I've seen it written both ways and see videos both ways regarding melting the tar and pouring it back in....what's yall's opinion on whether or not it's necessary/advisable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

It is absolutely necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Thank you Royce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration