Old Photo '24-'25 Touring and folks (No Watermelon)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo '24-'25 Touring and folks (No Watermelon)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I ran across this while looking for other stuff. I'm afraid its my mother's family. Be careful what you say.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

And what a fine looking family it is Richard :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Back in the day, snapshots were supposed to be taken with the subjects facing the sun. It must have been a bright sun that day! When films got a bit faster, you could take pictures on overcast days and eliminate the harsh shadows and the squints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

That family is an optometrists dream

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Dresses, shirts, table cloths, curtains and you name were made from chicken feed sacks, that's where women got cloth instead of a fabric store. I wore my share of shirts made from sacks. I though my shirts was better than a store bought one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:19 am:

I have several quilts made by my grandmother and great grandmother that have chicken feed sacks for the backing material.Company name still on the parts.
Slept under a couple of them growing up. Warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:31 am:

OK, Rich .... what's the backstory on the look that woman just left
of center is giving the other one to her right ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:21 am:

Burger, I don't recall exactly what she was saying. I was very young when I took that picture. I imagine it was something like "Let him crank with his right hand. If he breaks it, it will serve him right".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:58 am:

Well, looking at your picture, I'd say "only the shadow knows" (notice your shadow on the right side)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Bean Soup!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Cool picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Back in the days when Sears carried Model T parts in their catalogs they offered replacement top kits. There was "Good", "Better" and "Best". Usually the ones marked "Good" were not even worth buying.

That car looks to have Sears "Best" replacement top. Notice the framed glass panes and the elaborate reinforced stitching. Someone cared a lot for the old Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Whenever one takes a picture of a group of people, someone usually is looking away or has their eyes closed or something not just right. Nowdays we take more than one picture of the same object and save the best one. In those days it was expensive to take pictures so only one was taken and you get whatever the subject is doing at that split second. You will notice those who are looking forward either squint, have eyes closed or look down. The others look to the side trying to avoid looking at the sun.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

It does look like a replacement top Royce. I'm guessing the car was just a few years old when the photo was taken. Here is a closer look.

It is possible this is the same car on a different occasion FWIW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Royce - Your comment reminded me of my dad, telling me when I was a kid, working on my first Model A Ford,.... he told me that if you buy Sears Roebucks best grade,....not "good" or "better", but "best", I'd usually be okay. This was especially true of Sears tires. Also, Sears Craftsman brand tools were fairly good tools with a heck of a good guarantee, but remember when there were many cheaper tools that Sears sold with the brand name,...."Dunlap"? Dad told me to "NEVER" buy Dunlap tools as they were junk.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration