Found an all Brass HOLLEY carb, not sure what it goes to

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found an all Brass HOLLEY carb, not sure what it goes to
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Came across this old Holley carb in the barn today. Just marked HOLLEY and Holley Bros on the tag. The opening is about 1 3/8". Any clue what it may originally went too, and what it could be used on? Is it a good carb?

Benji

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Studebaker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Early Model K Holley before they started putting model numbers on them. Not for a Model K Ford, Holley Model K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Thanks Stan. I went and scoured online. i found a pamphlet on them. I figured I was mixing the mix needle.

I cant find the exact type I have. The throttle arm is different (this one looks like it has a combination throttle choke setup). And the fuel inlet is different on mine.

It looks like they were used on big trucks like the old IHC types.

Are they any good for anything else you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

They are not used on much although they seem to be an OK carb. Most, I think, were on tractors and stationary engines with some application on early trucks. They are a single circuit with no accelerator or separate idle circuit.

Many of them had a long tube with a barrel inside for opening and closing a hot air circuit for colder weather running. Look cool, I've never run one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Earlier gas inlet features on this one from the 1913 Studebaker parts book.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Here is a diagram of a Model K from 1921 in a book entitled "The Modern Motor Truck"

It has a different fuel inlet and throttle control than mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:11 am:

And here is a period pamphlet of the K I found.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67R2nhqIcx5ODJFb2cwckd6UDQ/edit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:16 am:

(Message edited by benji on January 29, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Barnett on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:28 am:

The Holley "K" carb was used on some of the early IHC shovel nose trucks ( the smaller ones ). Moline Plow Company also used them on the Moline Universal "D" tractor. Then there were some gas engine manufacturers that also used them. The Fairfield Gas Engine out of Fairfield, Iowa was one. As well as Armstrong out of Waterloo & Charles City, Iowa used them on special order depending on the application. The float bowl / float / needle and seat are the same as the "G" carbs by what I have found.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration