What are the pick up bed side irons called and who sells them?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What are the pick up bed side irons called and who sells them?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

I guess I can find someone else's pick up and post a photo, but I'm considering adding the top slanted rails to my wooden bed on my WWI project. My bed looks cut down too low after I installed my bench seat and back rest.

I searched the vendors and can't find them, but I don't exactly know what they are called.

The four (two on each side) metal straps that go up the outside of the rear bed and then angle out away from the inside of the bed. Looks like about a 6" board is bolted to it and the board slants away from the inside of the bed.

Any help pointing me in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

I had an original set and made the next set myself.If you know how high you sides are, bend iron to go out over top of side and then up for flared angle. Repeat 3 times. I cut a slot in bottom of iron and welded in a bolt to hold it in place. Drill holes for fastening to sides and to attach flare boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

I used steel parts from antique wagon suppliers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

This is what I have for flair rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Robert

The parts are called 'hanger bolts', and used for old time wagon boxes and pickup beds.

You can buy blanks here, in lengths, then forge the round blank flat, and then bend the ends in a 'z' to then fit flare boards. Bolts are threaded on the ends to fit to floorboard, underside fastened with washer and square nuts.

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/p/820-3/8-X-10-Hanger-Blanks.aspx

Here is a hanger bolt show in this photo, the wood is rotted so you can see the threaded part. The upper end bent so flare boards can be attached too. The hanger bolt secures the wood bed sides.

But. There are many ways to anchor the flare boards, a simple metal strap can be made, bent to shape and bolted in place on existing wood bed sides.

Typical use of hanger bolts, metal on the inside of the bed.

Or just make metal straps and place on the outside of the wood bed.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on January 28, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration