Hartley Iowa before the streets were clogged with automobiles-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hartley Iowa before the streets were clogged with automobiles-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Wow that is a cool pic! I like the wooden sidewalks, and the "well groomed" streets with the furrow in the middle. Pile of horse poop maybe? Imagine the smell with all those horses ganged up there doing their thing! Looks like a fairly prosperous place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:09 am:

They seem to be dressed in some fairly formal attire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Looks like Sunday church sevice in an Amish community. They dont have a church. Each member must host church service untill everyone has a turn then they start over. Sevice is held in the barn or outbuilding. Yes even in winter. Makes a mess of the road close to sevice. My neihbor hosts about twice a year. Its pretty interesting living close to Amish, for instance I was invited to help move a 40x60 barn. It was an old pole barn with round poles and heavy corigated metal. About 125 men came and we carried the barn to new location about 80 yards away. Team work is a must for a job like that. When job was done the women set up tables and pie and ice cream. The men went 1st and set on one side of yard and women and children on the other side. Just a glimps into life of friends helping friends with the only expectation to have the favor returned if needed.
Great photo Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

No, I don't thin the Amish dress like we see here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Oh yeah, .... MUCH better now !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

A lot more prosperity at the turn of the century for sure. Imagine if that downtown was restored with all the buildings as it once was. A nice shade tree there too. It was not the Model T that ended the prosperity. Highly mechanised farming, globalisation and Wal Mart come to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

And a society that just doesn't give a sh!t ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Well Herb you got the title backwards. It should read The streets are clogged with horses in the past and NO automobiles today!

The small dirt mounds on each street look like lane dividers and the crosswalks keep everyone out of the mud as they go from one side to the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:32 am:

What always amazes me about most of before and after photos is how beautiful and large the old time shots look and how drab and small the current photos look in comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 09:34 am:

It seems that in a lot of these pictures the old building have been thinned out. That could be from some disaster or even lack of maintenance. Often the multi storied buildings are replaced with single story units. Some even look to be shortened originals. I wonder if there was some tax advantage to downsizing the old buildings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Amen Burger! Dennis, I agree but those lane dividers look like they're loaded with horse-biscuits!

It's a shame for what looks to be an economic downturn of this town, like so many in this country. But then, maybe this pic was taken on an early Sunday morning. One would at least expect a gaggle of cars in front of the cafe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Not like the Amish around here. They would just go out to their phone, and call up one of their brothers, and have them drive over a dozer or two, to move the building! The Amish around use, and own anything they want. Some have electricity, phones, trucks, tractors, chainsaws, gas weed trimmers. They are nothing like what I grew up believing!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Then those aren't true Amish. Probably Mennonite. They're a little more advanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

can you really back a horse and buggy up enough to make a turn and leave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Pat, it all depends on what the Bishop says they can do. Some are more modern.no more reel type mowers around here. Skidsteers and gas powered lawn equipment. Can have one 110volt plug in the house for sweeper. All depends on your Bishop. Old order Amish is pretty rare anymore. Road apples are pretty easy to deal with, its the apple sauce that is hard to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

It all depends on the elders of that particular group, but yes, does sound more Mennonite. My neighbors are Mennonite; great neighbors!
Looks like the red front building could be the same one, but covered over.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration