What does the "F.A" stand for in the starting system?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What does the "F.A" stand for in the starting system?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks, FL on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I am curious does anyone know the meaning of "F.A." in the Ford descriptions of the starter and lighting systems that were introduced in 1919 with the closed cars and made (near) standard across the board a few years later for any Ford car?

I know of maybe a dozen other starting systems, some earlier, some later, but none of these third party suppliers has an F.A. in their description.

I'm also curious as to whether "F.A." was included from 1919 or whether it came alone later?

Any help or conjecture appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Ford Authorized?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Fred Allison (FA) was the designer of what was known as the "FA Starting and Lighting System" that was designed for and used on the Model T Ford. Many early starters and generators have the stylized symbol "FAL" stamped on some of the parts and stands for FA Liberty for the Liberty Electric who made many of the early parts. Most of the Liberty parts have minor differences from the final product Ford manufactured. .
Mr. Allison worked in the electrical engineering department of Ford Motor company.
Here is a photo of Allison in one of his early experimental electric Ford cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:54 am:

The first brochures show an oval plate with the F.A. Starting system attached. I've never seen one in 55 years. Maybe Ron Patterson would know something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Here is an announcement about the introduction of the Ford FA Starting and Lighting System.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks, FL on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Thank you Mr. Ron!

I knew there was a LIBERTY system, along with maybe 1/2 dozen other systems by brand name concerns.

Your reply answered all my questions before they could be asked :-)

The question came about because I came across a wiring diagram for a 'Liberty' and other than the Ford F.A. the only difference I could find was a fuse. Thought maybe LIBERTY jumped the '19+ bandwagon of non-starter cars perhaps with an after-market.

From the looks of the article, sort of one and the same...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

I found a good example of the stylized FA (Fred Allison) Liberty logo that you will find stamped on Model T starters and generators made by Liberty Electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Some of this obscure stuff IS pretty neat to learn about...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration