4th. Main bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 4th. Main bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Could someone please tell me the best route to go. My 4th.main bearing has the needle bearing its got about .008 thousand play in it the tail shaft has been turn to 1.5 in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

What does the shaft look like? My guess is the needles in the bearing have "eaten" into the shaft. This means a new tail shaft and bearing. Unfortunately this will require pulling the engine. Don't use a bearing where the needles ride directly on the shaft I don't believe they are hard enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

I mean the shaft is not hard enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

"Agree"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

There is a guy selling 4th mains in the classifieds that he will bore to size. Might be able to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

At the end of shaft its 1.5 where the needle bearing run its 1.498. Macs has a universal joint ball cap with a sealed bearing with a 1.5 id. Has anyone had any experience with that type bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

It might be possible to rescue your tail shaft by installing a hardened race that is commercially available at better bearing supply stores. I suspect that the actual bearing you have was made by Torrington (or similar). They sell a hardened race meant to be used with their needle roller bearings. It will require that the output shaft be machined down so the sleeve can be pressed on (probably a .002" press fit would be appropriate). I have not done this application but I believe it could be acceptable. As stated before,needle roller bearings required a suitable hardened surface. I hope this helps you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

When my crankshaft broke i found a sheilded not sealed bearing that had the balls exposed to everything in the engine.The bearing was junk when found so it was replaced with model T Ford parts! I was very lucky that my block only needed bored and no other damage was found.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

And Ken's case history is why I developed the "floating " transmission shaft

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration