'14 Yellow Speedster Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '14 Yellow Speedster Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

14 Model T Speedster. I posted a video of the T running on the Facebook. Not sure if everyone here is on FB so I wanted to provide an update here.

Last fall I rescued this Speedster from a farm 6 miles from me. I am the third owner. I have spent the winter researching and semi restoring my first T. This has been a learned experience and I most definitely understand the T affliction.

Titled as a 1914 this Model T Speedster was built in the early 1950s by Earl Aldman in Rush City MN. MN Pioneer License Plate is 802, which is a low number also validating the early 50s build. There is a show plate under the seat from 1955 for an AACA event in St. Peter, MN. The rear end is 15, drive shaft 13-14, Hogs head 14, Steering sector 13-14, frame 19-21. The motor has been validated to be a 13-14. No readable serial number. This determination was based on Model T Club membership physically viewing along with MTFCA forum picture reviews. Thank you all. Fortunately I was able to verify the build with a few local car guys and understand that a NOS motor was used for this build that was on a shelf in a wooden crate in Boogs garage in Pine City, MN (for the build in the 50s).

Below is a list of tasks performed this past winter;
1. Got car running and operational.
2. Rebuilt rear wood deck and remounted fuel tank- stained and varnished.
3. Flushed fuel tank over 3 week period with white vinegar and gasoline.
4. Restored wooden wheels- blasted steel parts and refinished wooden spokes- , paint, stain and varnish.
5. Repacked bearings and fully greased car
6. Checked and filled rear end
7. Pulled head and installed oversized valves, .015 due to two stiff valves
8. New belt and crank pins, new crank spring and strap
9. New Radiator Hoses and pipe
10. Conditioned and cleaned back of seat and recovered lower seat. Conditioned leather straps for hood.
11. Rebuilt coils from Lohse
12. Polished all brass
13. New tires, tubes and flaps
14. Sandblasted and painted Carbonate burner and running board gate.
15. Restored wooden steering wheel and polished brass.
16. New copper head gasket and pan gasket.
17. Added correct horn tubes and rubber ball after polishing original horn.
18. A couple of oil changes thus far and general clean up.
19. Added a 6volt battery along with a Model T Battery mount. Wired in to help with starting and reliability.

Trailer- Earl had a small trailer built specifically for this Model T. It has two 6 wide channels and ramps. Pretty slick. I had it sandblasted and entirely repainted. Including the rims and put a set of good tires on. Very heavy duty.

January 28, 2017 The car drove under its own power down the road. The 6volt battery system I installed helps at crank starting. Surprisingly the mag works great and runs noticeably better in mag mode. The gears seemed very high, I never tried high gear.

Next I am going to fix an exhaust manifold leak and address a radiator leak.

I am very very thankful for this forum and the local Minnesota Model T club community. I attended a Sat AM Model T clinic to learn about manual timing.
t2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

in the process of resizing photos to upload

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

You have been busy!!! Post away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Great car and great work!

I like that little trailer, too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Nice. I like it. YFAF - yellow Fords are faster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

This is post road trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Nice ... Looks like things are coming along well. Thanks for the update. Keep the pictures coming ... :-) we like lots of pictures :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

You HAVE been busy. Wow!
Is that a satin black on the wheel parts? That looks great!
I'm itchin' for more pics and I wish to say I hope this little Ford gives you many years of pleasure!
Plus you have Earl's trailer? Too cool.
Thanks Jake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Jake, Looking great--looks like the gas tank is on backwards (look at before picture, seam faces seat)?
Looks like the right rear fender brace used to be on the outside of the platform??
I see you went for solid wood instead of plywood!
It looks like a LOT of fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/694947.html?1483157540

here is original thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

David, yep you are correct that tank is not on the same way it came off. I hinged the front board so it flips up giving access to the battery which has a screw off shut off. I can also reach the gas shut off from the same side. My thought process is having the gas shut off and the battery shut off on the same side. Probably should have put both on the pass side but the holes for the batter mount seemed to dictate placement on the left. No drilling needed on the frame with the battery mount I obtained.

I think this car sustained some right rear damage. the right rear fender is different from the left. I pointed that out in the 2016 thread above asking why? the bracket is very different. I think a outer replacement bracket is needed at some point.

(Message edited by Lucky13speedster on January 28, 2017)

(Message edited by Lucky13speedster on January 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Agree with the others, great job and a great speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Jake, I love the before and after pics. Such a great looking speedster. Get everything done that you want to do this winter because once warm weather gets there all your going to want to do is drive it. I know thats what I am trying to do with my RPU. Your hooked my friend!!! Keep us updated with progress and pics.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Exciting update- Had the radiator repaired at a Rad repair shop in Pine City, MN Stans Radiator- they understood brass radiators. I would highly recommend them. There is another post on this as well. Pine City is only ~25 miles from me. Remounted the radiator during this past week and Sat AM got the T fired up and No LEAKS. took it down the road. This time ran the car for a good 25-30 minutes including idle time. The cruise down the road a mile or so was uneventful and since our temps here in MN are in the 20s, it was darn cold! I noticed a few things I need to address but nothing major.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:33 am:

I forgot to mention the MOST exciting part of the drive. This is the first time I put the car in HIGH gear. Whhhoooosh- down the road I went. I noticed there is an old stuck exhaust cut out with a small spring holding the flap closed. I am going to try to get that to free up, maybe that will really make the wind blow my hair back. haha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:05 am:

Fantastic. If you think your having fun with it now when it's cold wait until the weather warms up and you don't want to stop driving until your out of gas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Jake, Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration