Brass rims on headlamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass rims on headlamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McKain on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to finish out some headlamps on my 1914 T. The set I have are John Brown's. Is there replacement rims that are good sold? What would be the best way to restore the old rims with some pits and dents. Is it better in general to get replacements or rehab the old rims. Anything would help as far as how to proceed.
Thanks,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I always like to try to fix the original stuff where I can. If you have a music shop in town that repairs brass instruments they are usually pretty great at fixing brass headlamp rims. They'd be able to fix any dents and get rims back to smooth and straight.

If you want them to be flawless with no pits that is also possible through repair but usually means copper plating to fill in the pits/holes and then nickel and then brass. It would be MUCH cheaper to just replace the rims instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

If you want to just replace them, Lang's has them available for your Jno Browns at $96.50 each.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/BL-D1.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration