OT; Road map(s) of Montana & Wyoming.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT; Road map(s) of Montana & Wyoming.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Hi,
I've looked all over the place for an up to date road map of Montana and Wyoming, without luck.
I guess its because of Google maps and Sat Nav systems in just about every car that's making them scarce.
BUT my wife and I like to tour and explore the old fashioned way and our upcoming trip to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons is no different.
All I can find on eBay is older, vintage maps and tourist guides. Likewise Amazon.....and many unsuccessful searches of the Interweb.
So, can any of you fine folk advise me of where I could procure a decent, up to date, road map (or maps) of the area....please?
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

I have seen really nice maps from Auto Club that are free for the taking by members. I'm not a member, but understand that you can just join for the road service without actual insurance and it's fairly cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

DeLorme Gazetteers are the best traveling maps books you could ever ask for.
While some states are shown in greater detail than others, some (like mine) show
darn near every scratch in the dirt, so finding the forgotten backways are much
easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

I found the same thing in Hershey last year. I wanted to buy a map of Harrisburg and the surrounding area and none of the gas stations sold maps anymore.

You can still buy Rand Mcnally road atlases, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Delorme Gazetteers are still available and are quite good. Any state you want. I use mine often especially when planing a Model T tour.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575993

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Again, I have no interest in Auto Club. But here is the website to read about the services:

https://www.calif.aaa.com/home/automotive/driving-resources/trip-planning-and-ma ps/get-maps.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Yes, the Delorme Gazetteers are very good. Also check the state websites. Some departments of transportation have excellent maps on their websites, and some don't. Kansas has great maps, while some of the big tourist states have real stinkers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:00 am:

"Thank You" all for answering and providing that excellent advice. As a result I've just ordered the Delorme Gazetteers.
Again, "Thank You"
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:07 am:

Rob, if you are an NRMA member, I think you'll find you enjoy reciprocal rights with the AA in America. Last time I was in the USA, they had comprehensive state maps and city maps. My friends in the states had collected every city and state map we had on our itinerary.
Extra good for planning but we still used the GPS when driving.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:13 am:

Hello Allan,
Thanks for that...even though I've ordered the Gazetteers, I'll call into the NRMA shop tomorrow and check it out.
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Rob
PS; You should see how those "A" wire wheels look now they're powder-coated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:27 am:

I have been using Rand McNally road atlas' since my first road trips around the USA in the 1970's. This is a folio sized book of maps with all the states of the USA in it.

Available from the publisher on line or the usual suspects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:38 am:

First of all, not a lot in Montana changes. There are only so many valleys between the mountains to build roads in, the towns for the most part anyway, haven't moved since railroad days and except for the Californians moving in and building more malls and box stores the towns tend to have not changed much for years.

So the maps are pretty much the same as they have always been -- at least since the 70's when the Interstates were finished.

All that said, here is a good site for Montana road maps. http://mt.gov/discover/statemap.mcpx

Another with very detailed roads, etc. https://www.google.com/search?q=montana+road+map+detailed&biw=1097&bih=616&tbm=i sch&imgil=lzvyoHq6JXY7VM%253A%253Bg1xYgq7qF_1jyM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Faf vz.tk%25252Fmontana-road-map%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=lzvyoHq6JXY7VM%253A%252Cg 1xYgq7qF_1jyM%252C_&usg=__yE_kH97m1uOUb4z83qTcnNeKbuM%3D&dpr=1.75&ved=0ahUKEwiG- eu_3ebRAhUUz2MKHXqiBCgQyjcILQ&ei=KYyNWMbAOZSejwP6xJLAAg#imgrc=lzvyoHq6JXY7VM%3A

You can also contact the Montana visitors bureau at http://www.visitmt.com/contact.html and I believe they will send you the new updated 2017 map. They distribute thousands and thousands of free maps at every rest area, most gas stations, Chambers of Commerce and etc.

Not that this has a lot to do with anything, but Montana is big. It is further from Alzada to Yaak -- southeast to northwest -- than it is from Chicago to New York. My ranch is 525 miles from where I live and there is another 225 miles of Montana west of me. Plan accordingly.

If you are coming through Helena on your trip give me a call. I will also be at the tour for a day or two but am not going on the tour, leaving a spot for somebody who doesn't drive here all the time like I do. The tour headquarters is about 250 miles from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:21 am:

Rob: Stan is right about State maps. Here is a link
http://www.mdt.mt.gov/mdt/document-orderform.shtml
They may not send out of USA for free, but you can ask. There is an online map there too.
You can usually get Free county maps from the county DOT also. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:38 am:

We just took the Amtrac to Glacier National Park this summer. Stayed at the lodge, did the bus and tour. Rented a car across the street from the lodge and drove down thru Idaho, Washington, and the Pacific coast of Oregon. Had a great time, flew back to Va from Portland. My bride contacted all the official state tourism websites and we had maps and travel guides inside a week.....very nice to have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

When we travel, my wife goes to the official web site for each state we plan on visiting. Just do a simple google search for each state. There is a place to request for maps and brochures. We always get the maps and the brochures. In a week or so we have big envelopes of brochures of place to see, stay, ect. and there is usually always a state highway map. All for free. The National parks will also send you the info pack for their park. It will include a nice map of the park. (we collect the maps as our souveniers) We have been to all the places you mentioned above. The map of the park is really needed to see the sites. They will also give you a map when you go thru the gate at each park. Remember that if someone is handicapped in your group, and they have a handicap access pass, the whole group gets in free. The senior golden age pass will get you 1/2 price entry. If you do not have a pass they will issue it at the park. Either at the gate or visitor center. So make sure to get one. It will save a lot of money. Also If you like to see things not usually visited by the big crowds, try and get the books titled "off the beaten path". We have the local library get them for us, through the lend a book program at our library. But they are really pretty cheap on e-bay. Try to get the book for each state you travel in. The books can be several years old and still have all the same info. We have found some really neat places that we were the only people there. We also stop at the "mom and pop" restaurants as much as possible. While there we ask "where would you take us or recommend us to see, if we were some of your friends or family" You would be surprised at what the locals can tell you. Do not even ask the teenage waitress/waiters. They do not have a clue, you would just be wasting your time :-)..... Have fun and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

I joined AAA and got a Plus membership for the emergency towing service especially with T tours in mind. When I did a long road trip through eight states in 2015, though, I also made use of their free map service. Got maps and tour books (lists of hotels, restaurants and attractions) for all the states we visited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Wall-Mart always had a good selection that is where I bought my maps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration