OT - What are these grease fittings called and where can I get the female end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - What are these grease fittings called and where can I get the female end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Hello,

My 1923 Stanley is peppered with grease fittings that are not the standard Zerk type. They have two nubs that stick out, and the gun end rotates a 1/4 turn to attach. I have an old grease gun that fits them, but it is about as old as the car... It is a small one you fill with bulk grease, and then turn the threaded end to push the plunger. It works, but there are a few areas that I think a hose and a modern gun would access better.

So what are these things called, and does someone sell the female (grease gun side) end?

Thanks,
-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

I call them Alemite pin types. They appear at Swap Meets and on Ebay. There are various sizes of guns Someone here may have one for sale.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

These look similar - Alemite fittings?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/175458.html?1292339423

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-039-s-20-039-s-6-Alemite-Grease-Zerk-Fitting-Lot-NOS- /282282448100?hash=item41b95854e4%3Ag%3AZuAAAOSwX~dWsU8Y&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=nxm rCb%252BCwkWL%252BOkR40EMMXKGI2M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l255 7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

There is available an adapter that goes on the pin type Alemite fitting and has a Zerk fitting on the end. You can then use your modern gun to lube.
Often on Ebay or Restoration Supply has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Thanks for the quick replies. There is one in a tight spot and an adapter won't help. I need a female end I can screw on to a hose. I will look at the gun I have tomorrow and see if it has normal threads so I can add a hose between the gun and the fitting.

I cleaned up the shop and got rid of a some grease guns a few years ago since I did not know what they were for, and never used them in 10 years. Oh well.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/561520.html?1439183127

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

If you are a stickler, those Alemite fittings should have polished dust caps. A lot of mechanics probably tossed them out the first time the car was greased and that may be why they are typically missing.

My dad had a 1927 Hupmobile and he picked up dust caps at swap meets so he had a full set for his car. He also had the key for installing and removing the fittings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks for bringing this up Joe. I hadn't looked in this box for a while:

I guess the scoop is for loading the gun from a pale.
Those covers are hard to find but someone was selling new ones 30 years ago or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Fittings, dust caps and grease gun adapter are available from Restoration Supply Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

scroll down, right side

https://www.restorationstuff.com/featured5.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

My 31 Chevy has them. Several cars of the era did. While my car had the dust caps I read somewhere that they were an aftermarket item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 12:46 am:

The fittings come big enough to be used on steam railroad locomotives! My DB uses them too.
So Joe, how's life with a Stanley going??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks everyone. The grease gun I have is basically like the ones that Rich posted photos of. It works fine but it is tight to one fitting.

Dale - I had never heard of Restoration Supply. They had the female Alemite fitting with a female pipe thread on the other end to allow a grease gun to hook up to the male Alemite fittings on the car. They also had another couple hundred dollars of things I had been looking for but did not know where to buy it. Great site, I placed a large order today.

David - The weather has not allowed my to take the Stanley for another ride, so I have spent a lot of time tweaking it.

I added a stainless cable in the section of the fuel line between the steam automatic and the burner to take up volume and shut fuel down a bit faster when the automatic commands it. (Previously it would slowly decay pressure and backfire as the low pressure fuel would hit the hot surfaces if the car was not moving. Now the fuel shuts off much quicker with the cable in the tubing taking up volume. (Trick Howard JOhnson suggested)).

I also spent quite a bit of time fluff and buffing it. Polished the paint, polished all the brass and chrome, Did a thorough cleanup of the interior and redid the floor, polished all the gauges. I want to take the needles off the gauges and clean / paint them, but I am a little hesitant to do so as they all work well now...

I can't wait to drive it again...

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Great looking car, Joe, I'm envious! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Those are some fancy floorboards. Probably less slippery than the Battleship Linoleum.
I would be wary of taking needles off to paint them too!
The cable inside the line sounds like a good trick! Unfortunately I will probably never get to use that information. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Joe, Thanks for the order to Restoration Supply. Someone has to keep them in business. They are a great resource to us all.

The pictures of the Stanley are delightful. They help take our minds off our Model T troubles.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Also here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=165g1e4

And...: https://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=165g1xk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Hmmm, those links didn't work too well. However, if you click on the menu items you'll find both the fittings and the grease gun chuck to fill them.

Looks like you've got what you need coming already, but another source is always good to know about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

David,

You are correct about battleship linoleum being the proper flooring, but I didn't know where to get it. (restoration supply sells it) I ended up using pyramid vinyl and I am very satisfied with the look, even if not original.

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip! I use McMaster Carr relatively often, but didn't think of them for the grease fitting adapter. Their price was about the same as restoration supply and I am happy to support the little guy.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

This fellow has been selling the battleship linoleum for many years. I have found him good to deal with.
FWIW

http://battleshiplinoleum.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Rich, Good to know, he's where I got the BL for the Stanley Roadster I upholstered some 25 years ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:40 am:

The burlap backed linoleum is fun to work with. I think it is imported from the Netherlands. It is another item we are lucky obtain.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration