Old Photo - 1921 Mercedes, TX Flood and a Touring Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - 1921 Mercedes, TX Flood and a Touring Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

My Great-Grandfather took this photo during a flood that occurred in South Texas in 1921.

It was taken just outside of Mercedes, TX.

Not well-versed enough on T's to know if this car is a T or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

It appears to me that car is... Wet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Umm...the crank is on the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Yeah Dave...this may be a rare photograph of the ultra-rare rear engine Model T ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Its NOT the rare floating T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

He is holding his wife's hand while she is under the car tying the tow rope on, He didn't want to get his hat wet so she had to do it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

There is not enough car for me to tell. Some Maxwells and Studebakers had round rear windows like that. I'm not sure about Chevy or Buick. A Dodge would probably have the 6 pointy windows.

At any rate he should push it out before the carburetor floods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Dang! Doncha hate it when that happens?

Do ya think that he'll hafta drain any water out of the carburetter?
And the fuel tank?
And the crankcase?
And.......

A soggy ride home on those soppin' seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Wow not a fun day right there. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Is this a flood or did some drunk drive it into a slough the night before ?

Doesn't look like a place a car would be left parked and I see no downstream
flood debris on the banks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Burger...I don't know how the car ended up in the water (I wouldn't be born for another 48 years), but it's definitely the aftermath of the 1921 Mercedes, TX flood.

The photo is labeled "Mercedes Flood" on the back and it was in an envelope labeled "Mercedes Flood" with several other photos labeled "Mercedes Flood".

Also, my grandfather, who was there when the photos were taken, told me these photos were taken by his dad of the Mercedes Flood.

So...I'm no rocket scientist or 'nuthin but I'm thinking maybe this photo is of the Mercedes Flood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

one picse rear tub that lets out ford and most maxwells could be dodge, chev or buick or others. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration