WW 1 parade.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WW 1 parade.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Dave thanks for posting the series of pictures lately I've really enjoyed looking at them.

I'm amazed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Great pics Dave. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Is that an SE-5A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Question:

The sign reads "airplains". Here in the USA we would call them "airplanes". Is the difference a minor discrepancy between two English speaking peoples, an attempt at humor or just an error?

It's an interesting distinction to me because I found a restaurant in Calexico, CA called "Rosa's Plane Food". It's located at the Calexico airport on W. 2nd Street. The play on words always amused me.

My wife says I'm simple. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

a Curtiss JN-4, AKA the "Jenny".
An old neighbor flew reconnaissance flights in an American built version on this as a camera man. They flew every morning as soon as it was light enough to see where the Germans may have been digging new spurs off their trenches over night.
He had two big box cameras hanging over the sides and his job was to take pictures and change the film plates. If he dropped more than a few plates during the mission, they would have to come back to the airfield, load up more film and go back out.

That wasn't too popular with the pilots....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Henry I didn't notice "airplains" and I've never seen that before. Bad spelling I bet. It does look rather "plain" with no wings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

More specifically, this is a Canadian variant of the American Jenny, known as the "Canuck".

Many minor differences between the Canadian version versus the American, but the most easily recognizable difference in this picture is the larger, rounded rudder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

I think the wing span on the American plane was longer then 3 feet too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Henry, I spotted the airplain too. I suspect it is a signwriter's mistake. Of course, in correct English it should be spelled aeroplane. I imagine an airplane is something used to smooth air.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Allen is right-"aeroplane" would have been the King's English at that time, but I suspect most folks were still just calling them "flyin' machines".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration