A new first...replaced front wheel bearing ('27 Touring)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A new first...replaced front wheel bearing ('27 Touring)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Finished a new "1st" this weekend. Had a loud squeal in the right front while driving my 1927 Touring. Dropped some oil in the oil cups and decided to also raise the front end and check it out for giggles. Glad I did...had a very bad grinding noise when I spun the driver's side wheel. Pulled it all apart and the inner race for the ball bearings was badly worn and the outer roller bearing was broken.

innerrace

Outer bearing before

I had purchased a lot of parts from a local fellow who was a antique parts distributor and recently retired ($5000 worth of parts for $500...lucky me). He supplied a couple popular Model T online parts companies (you probably know who they are). So, I set out to replaces the bearings, cups, etc.

Sounds like a dream now (actually very quiet). TREMENDOUS thanks to everyone on this forum. I wasn't sure how much grease to use to repack, how tight to set everything, purpose for the washer between the outer bearing and the castle nut, etc. After an hour or two of searching and reading here, you all helped answer all of my questions.

Special thanks to my mentors, Terry and Dana, at the Sun Country Model T Club in Phoenix for inspiring me to just jump in and fix stuff when it needs fixin and not be intimidated from ripping things apart in our T. Learned a lot from them.

Looking forward to getting back on the road!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Here are a couple before and after shots:

Before parts

After parts

Anyone need a set of ball bearings? Only have enough for one wheel. The bearing cup seems ok, also. I can post a close-up picture if anyone is interested. Just cover shipping. The passenger's side had already been converted to roller bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Raymond, that ball bearing inner is a retro fit. The correct bearing is the tapered roller you have installed. If that little crack shown in your outer bearing is all that is wrong, I would not toss it. The crack is in the spacer which keeps the rollers in order, not a real problem unless the other side lets go too.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Raymond; at some point the race may have spun on the spindle from the looks of things, the piece of shim stock wedged under it. Was there shim stock in just one place or in several? Your new inner bearing may be too loose on the spindle. Check the fit of the inner bearing before assembling every thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

So after your research, did you pack the new bearings with all the grease they would hold or pack the hub full? Opinions vary on here as to which is the right way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Allan, appreciate the response. Interesting thing about inheriting a "T" from an innovative grandparent...one wheel had ball bearings and the other wheel had roller bearings. I guess it served him well for many, many years. Glad I pulled the other side, though. While not grinding, it was full of water. Seems the felt dust ring failed a few miles ago. The inner cup was pitted in the second wheel, so I just went ahead and put new on since I had it all torn down and I had the parts. Now new parts all around so I'm hoping it lasts a good long while!

Mark, I had the same thought. I think the race may have been loose so he (wife's innovative granddad) shimmed it up. It looked like there may have been a shim all the way around at some point, but somehow it mostly sheered off as there were metal chunks floating around in the hard, crusty grease I cleaned out. I did check the new bearing for fit (great minds think alike). I didn't have to pound it on or anything, but it was a snug fit.

Tommy, yes on both accounts. I did see a lot of opinion on "to pack the hub full or not to pack the hub full". With black nitrile gloves in tow and an obvious over-purchase of grease, I opted for the "it can't hurt" philosophy and packed it all full. I have a Ford Manual from my wife's granddad's pile of books and it said in the first sentence of Answer 92 to "pack the hub full..." so that sold me.

I'd be interested in other's philosophy on this point. Thoughts?

Answer92

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:44 am:

A little easier to read:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Having packed the hub full of grease, I wonder what one did with all the grease displaced by the packed bearings and the spindle when the wheel was fitted. Return it to the tub perhaps?

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration