Old photo Toronto - Look out lady, Model T comin through.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old photo Toronto - Look out lady, Model T comin through.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Why do all those ladies have slop buckets on their heads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Same reason fat girls wear spandex "skinny jeans" these days Mike. It's called "fashion". ( I'll take the "slop buckets" )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

The "cloche" style hat was the most popular, though there were many others during the period. The French word "cloche" comes from the glass domes used in the garden, or to protect valuable objects. The dress is much nicer than yoga pants. Coco Channel being responsible for some nice 1920's style

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Before the 1980's Bathurst and St. Clair was the garment factory district

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Mike - You can say what you want about the various "styles" of the past, and, call me "old fashioned" if you want, but nowadays, and for the past several years, some of these young girls today seem to think it's "stylish" to wear worn out looking and faded Levi's with ragged and frizzy wear holes in the knees and thighs. Who the heck starts that dumb stuff anyway??? A young girl wearing Levi's like that in the days of those "slop bucket" hats would be pitied and brought in and fed as a "homeless" and poor person!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

When you are downloading photos from the Toronto Archives, you should be able to save them in a much larger size. If they are over 250KB, then you can reduce them accordingly.

Also, you can copy and paste the full description and give credit where it is due:

Title: T.T.C. reconstructed cars on Bathurst route
Date(s) of creation of record(s): July 18, 1923
Physical description of record(s): 1 photonegative : b&w, glass ; 9 x 11 cm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 03:55 am:

I love the hat styles of that era. Most women's hats of the 1920s highlight a pretty face nicely, and only require a few minutes of hair preparation to be ready to go out. (Unlike some today that spend hours on their hair and wear ratty clothes.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Erik, I didn't get the photo from the Toronto Archives nor did I have any info on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I apologize to any I may have offended. Referring to the hats as "slop buckets" was a bit inappropriate. Perhaps "chamber pots" would have been better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:26 am:

She sees the cars and the spokes are visible on the car, so it must have stopped for her.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:52 am:

I should have used the letter "S" in the thread title. Looks like they're all Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

As a woman in the 20's, you were very much "in style" if you had the
chest of a 9-year-old boy. I never have been attracted to young boys,
or that look in women. Call me weird. :-)

While I like the clothing designs and details, this one major fashion flaw
earns the overall look a "fail" for this fan of the curvy woman.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration