1913 Touring Bodies w/ 1914 Style Door Latches Query

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Touring Bodies w/ 1914 Style Door Latches Query
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

So, I have a 1913 Beaudett Touring body with 1914 style door latches. It was just a body, with nothing else, so I cannot pinpoint the date of the manufacturer. I have read where 1913 Beaudett was delivering some of the first 14 style bodies in July of 13. IS it possible, then, that my body could have been made around june to july?

This spring I am hoping to get north to Benson to scour the 13 records and hopefully get some more info. Curious if anyone may know. I know I am not the only one with a 13 body with 14 latches (see model T times in the march/april 2015 issue ). What is interesting on mine, is the doors were made for the 13 style, but have a thin fill block where the 13 latch goes up to the top of the door. Also, even more important, is the top garnish piece on the door does Not have the slot for the 13 style door latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:56 am:

I have seen those. They aren't common. I only saw them on loose doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Ben,

Is there any stamped numbers on the front seat support or the inside of the front right floor board riser? I assume your "B" is on the rear seat kick board, correct?

Beaudett was making '14 style touring cars by the first week or so of July 1913. It sounds like they ran out of the '13 style door latches for a few of the old style '13 bodies.

It would be interesting to see if there are any "1913 style" Beaudett touring cars with July and August 1913 engine numbers from about 310,000 to 348,000.

Anyone with a "1913 style" Beaudett touring 310,000 to 348,000?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I have the B on the rear kick pane, yes. No numbers on the front seat support. The wood is too weathered. I have some of the front wood so will look, also found a past forum posting on numbers stamped on the doors. Nothing on the top of the doors, and I will check the sides. I dont have any wood left on the bottom of the doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

My Touring's block was cast in early June 1913 and the engine number is in the upper 280000's.

The body is a '14 style with the rounded lower door corners.

I am very confident it is the original engine to the car since the car has been in my family since the early 1950's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Ed, is yours a Beaudette body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Ben,

Here is the "B" on my Touring so I would have to guess that it is.

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Thats on mine as well.

I scoured all over my body and can not come up with a number. I wish they stamped the rare seat ledge, that wood is perfect. My front seat is weathered enough to not see any numbers. i think its too deep to do anything with.

I have the original hood, and it has aluminum handles (I cant remember when they switche to steel), and the front fenders are neat in that they still have the angled front lip, like a clipped 1912. I thought those were earlier fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

The body number on my front seat frame is stamped on a metal plate not in the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:40 am:

My block is cast mid-June, trans assembled 7-11-13 (stub shaft date), engine 7-17-13 by serial number records.

Beaudett had the stronger "1913 style" touring car body but once they got cranked up on the "1914 style" body, it would seem they probably made only the newer one because of the earlier issues until they may have run out of latches. Who knows?

That is why I asked the question above.

Any "1913 style" Beaudett's from serial number 310,000 to 348,000 out there?

Friend of mine has a Wilson "1913 style" at 335,000 or so. The other houses were still making the "problem style" bodies while 1914 style Beaudett's like mine and Ed's were coming off the assembly line in June and July of 1913.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Ed, hmm, I will look and see i an old rusty tag is around. My body was screwed to a sheet of plywood and left out in the weather for who knows how long before I got it. I found lots of pieces in the bottom, but thought I cleaned it out reall good. I found all 4 hood clips, the steel dash plate, and my missing door latch. Maybe by this time they had the metal tag.

I looke don the encyclopedia, and may have a better time frame for my body. My hood has aluminum handles. According to the encyclopedia:

On June 11, 1913 Galamb wrote: “Redesigned and changed material from pressed steel to aluminum casting.” A few days later on June 30, 1913 the number of rivet holes was changed from six to four."

So mine may be a body built around the same time as the new 14 style bodies. Could be just using up old parts in inventory by Beaudette?

Regarding the stronger Beaudette bodies. Mine has the pressed steel reinforcement plates on the bottom of the door area around the sills. Thats were I get confused as I read Beaudette bodies were stronger and did not have the reinforcement plates? I wonder since the plates became dealer installed sometimes, if the dealer just did it anyhow?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration