OT - Forum "Quirk"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Forum "Quirk"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Perhaps it's not the forum, but rather a "quirk" of my computer.

Not really complaining, 'cause it's no big deal; just bit of a continual irritation. All of my forum items are bright blue until I've brought them up to read the new forum items and the updated ones. Once I've read them, they no longer appear bright blue, but they appear purple, which of course let's me know which ones I've read, and which ones I haven't read. Pretty "standard" procedure, right? But here's what I can't understand. After I've gone thru' a dozen or more new or updated "bright blue" items, I go out of the forum and right back in and see that during the time it took me to read all of the new "bright blue" items, they're usually be half a dozen or so bright blue items again. BUT,...here's the thing,....when I bring up each of those now purple items, they're really not new or updated, they haven't changed at all since I just read them! So, it was a waste of time to bring them up and read them again, even tho' they were purple, because there's no change to them at all. And it happens every time! Again, is that the forum, or is that just a peculiarity of my computer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

It seems like it did that to me a couple times. It's not doing it now. Like you said, no big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Forgot, I'm on an I-phone, not a regular computer. I figured it was the phone since sometimes when I click on the icon to come here it goes to the home page or the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

That is exactly how mine is. They start out blue and once I have read them they turn purple. Now if I leave and come back an hour later some have turned blue again and that usually tells me that someone has made a comment on them. On occassion they they turn blue again, but there is no additional comment - which doesnt make sense, but that is how it goes. At least I can come back later and see what post I last read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Sounds like your browser set to clear cookies when you exit. This can usually be changed in your browser settings.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

I love to clear cookies. I cleared a whole bag last night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

They turn blue again after someone else posts to that topic. It then becomes a new unread thread.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 03:04 am:

No Bob,....you missed my point. A few of the ones I just read turn blue so I bring them up again and immediately find out that NOBODY has done ANYTHING to change them so I'm then just wasting time, reading exactly the same thing that I just read previously!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:51 am:

Mine does the same thing . Only last few weeks and not all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Darn you Steve! I was thinking the same thing! Cookies don't stand a chance in this house! The wife and I cleared two dozen warm chocolate chip cookies before they got cold last Saturday. Too bad the I-Mac doesn't make c.c. cookies! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:44 am:

When it happens to me it seems to be a timing issue. In other words, I think I've clicked on the thread close to when the new post has come in and the link registers as being updated but I've already got the thread open seeing the new comment. Maybe an E-Timer can smooth this timing out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Tim, I'll see your chocolate chip and raise you two oatmeals with raisins. Your bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

David Dewey -

I sent you a PM a few days back - simple question about something other than a T....no answer,,, I think that it got lost in the ethernet.
If you don't mind, if you'll PM me with your email address, I'll send the questions directly.

Thanks,

Dave Dufault

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 02:07 am:

Sending PM. Maybe it was larger than 2MB, those usually "crash and burn" This dial-up is a pain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:05 am:

Harold are your preferences for your browser set to delete "cookies" after you leave the page? That would explain the "Quirk" you are experiencing. as long as you stay on the page the color of the ones you have read remains darkened until there is a new post added. When you leave a page and come back to it it is as if you have not been there because there is no "Cookie" to remember you were there. I usually browse privately so the titles never change color for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

G.R.C. - Thank you. I am just barely computer literate, to the point where I'll have to have my wife read, digest, and check for what you have suggested. I'm a pretty good "shade tree T mechanic", but this computer stuff is way over my head. I wouldn't know a browser or a cookie from a pineapple upside down cake! Thanks,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I noticed that started happening after the Forum "meltdown" in 2012. I don't recall who was the moderator back then, but I think it was Chris. It was quite a mess, but most everything was retrieved, except the member's join dates. They were all set at 2012, a lot of them went back many years. Mine was in 2010, give or take a year. :-) He did a hell of a job getting things back to normal. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration