Muster Field Farm Ice Harvest and Snowmobiles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Muster Field Farm Ice Harvest and Snowmobiles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Today (Sunday 1/29) I drove my runabout from Keene, NH to North Sutton, NH for their annual Ice Harvest.

http://www.musterfieldfarm.com/

It was a balmy 25*F when I left home and might have risen to a high of 30. There was abundant sunshine at my departure, but the sky became partly cloudy and at times dark and almost appeared threatening. The sun did make occasional reappearances. Recent days had been warmer than normal and some uncommon winter rain had cleared much of the road salt. It was a pleasant 55 miles to the farm.

They cut ice from nearby Kezar Lake and truck it to the ice house at the farm for use during the summer.

At the lake.

A few of the hand tools used to cut and move the ice.

The Le Roi powered Ice Saw. That blade means business.

Some hand cutting of ice blocks.

After the blocks are cut, they are guided towards a cut channel where they are grabbed with a tong and swung, using the tripod, up onto a waiting truck. I must state that this old Dodge just purred.

When one truck is full it travels a couple of miles to the farm while another takes it's place on the lake. At the farm the ice blocks are unloaded into the ice house and packed with sawdust to insulate them until they are used during the summer.

If harvesting the ice was not already thrilling enough, there were six Model T snowmobiles giving rides through the open fields. It was not possible to photograph all six together as there were always at least two or three out on the trail giving rides to delighted muggles.

In contrast to the sometimes menacing clouds it really was a decent day. My little runabout performed admirably. I've had this car for less than a year and although I have put many hundreds of miles on it during the summer and autumn, this was my first tour in winter. Although I stopped occasionally to adjust up or down my radiator cover (or winter front) I could not find the "sweet spot"; it was always too cold or too hot by the Moto Meter. On my next outing (Feb 4 to Tamworth, NH for the Nat'l Snowmobile Meet) I will bring some wooden clothes pins in hopes of fine tuning the flap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:15 am:

Looks like a fun way to spend a cold winter day. Love those snowmobiles. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:47 am:

That is just too cool!

Looks like everyone needed a fun permit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 06:19 am:

Bill what a great post! Thanks for taking the time to share. That brings back memories. I have helped do that with horses as a kid. Great photos.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:02 am:

Great post of one of my favorite spots in New Hampshire. The many pictures brought back great memories of touring the area with different auto groups

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Great post Bill, thanks for sharing all those photos, very informative.

Happy snowmobiling,

Warren

see you next Saturday at Remick Country Doctor's Farm in Tamworth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1xYFSDPf4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Excellent, Bill. Not so sure about a 25 degree open car ride though! I can't stand cold whatsoever. The ice harvesting is neat, has always interested me. I suspect it's a LOT more work than it looks. Just hope we never have to go back to that form of refrigeration. We've become way too soft. Around here it seems the lake only freezes that good about every 3 years, so we'd be in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Too much fun ... :-) I have a NOVO engine that looks just like that Le Roi. I have often wondered if the two companies merged, or if one stole the others design . ??? My engine is a 1926 model, so they are "period correct" Thanks for the post ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Great pictures, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Thank you for the look at a event i have never seen before! What are the small buildings in the next to last picture? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Thank you for sharing this most interesting post Bill, a lot of us sure enjoyed it !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Fantastic photos and narrative Bill, it looks like you went back in time. I wonder how far the ice blocks last into Summer. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Bud, I am not sure what those buildings are, but I am adding to the post in hopes that some other more knowledgeable members will share their information about them. My guess is they're to big for well house and not open enough to be corn cribs.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Warren,Could they be covered sistern's? Too small for gazebos ? Whatever they are they look nice and well built! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Bud, I guess we'll never know, as no one has answered your question.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Bill,

I'd like to suggest sewing 4 long shoe/boot laces, two on each side of you "winter front" so that you can roll up the flap and tie the laces. That way you would have nearly infinite adjustment like a Roman Shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

I really enjoyed this post with all the pictures of the ice harvest!! Someday i hope to go north east to see more of the country! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim wallace on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:31 am:

most of the buildings on "this side" of the road were moved to the farm from other places, to save them from demolition.

the little building with the striped roof is a spring house, from the bradford mineral springs hotel.

the other small building is a ticket booth from the bradford/newbury fair.

btw, that is my '48 dodge loaded with ice in bill's photos.

(Message edited by wally on February 01, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Thank you! I like the way a channel was cut to float the ice to the truck.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim w on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:54 am:

even more to the ice channel than it appears. all of the initial blocks of ice cut from that channel are then submerged under the edges of the ice to provide buoyancy - safer that way. the harvested blocks are cut from a larger square/rectangle grid connected to the channel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry that I did not get to speak with you on Sunday. I must compliment you on your Dodge. That truck sure sounded sweet. Thank you for your help with the harvest. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Tim, that is a nice looking Dodge truck. Can you give me a little more information about your truck. Was it an L-series vehicle? Thanks!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Very interesting, thanks. Allen S.W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim w on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

bill,

thanks for the pictures. nice "T", too. i liked seeing you show up down by the lake (i noticed when you drove in). i think it's great to drive old vehicles in all weather, all year.

as it happens, we did have a very brief meeting, right in front of the ice house. i asked if your coat was bear, and you replied.

warren, my dodge is a B1FA-152. B for the series, 1 for the year ('48 & '49), F for the rating (1.5 ton), A for a 2-speed rear differential, and 152 for the wheelbase. has a 237 flathead 6-cylinder.

wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Great Pictures !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Thank you Tim, as I said great looking truck.

Bill, look what I noticed on this Model T snowmobile some added traction!!!!

added traction

Happy snowmobiling,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

That looks like such a neat event.

Thank you for sharing it with us. Having a good time like that could definitely make up for the gray days we have in the winter here in MI. It's just too bad the snow is so spotty and unpredictable! ;)

jk

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration