Old Photo - Model T Era - White Swan Electric Tower on U.S. 223 Opposite Clearwater Beach, Devils Lake, Michigan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - White Swan Electric Tower on U.S. 223 Opposite Clearwater Beach, Devils Lake, Michigan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Would i be dumb to think somewhere under the lumber there is a unused light house? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:26 am:

One of the famous twin towers in Irish hills, MI. built in 1923.
A neighbor built a matching tower right next to this one because this one was blocking his view! They are still there, but deteriorated to a point where they are no longer used.
Here's an interesting illustrated history of the pair up to the present:

http://sometimes-interesting.com/2016/03/14/revenant-of-the-irish-hills-towers/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:33 am:

NOPE, that's idiot in the post above is wrong!

The original post picture is the White Swan, built in 1930, torn down in 1960. Sorry....

All were observation towers for overlooking the rolling glacial topography of lower Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:53 am:

The first idiot say's if he would have thought about the very top he might have remembered the tower on M-20 about 1.75 miles west of M-30 between Midland,and Mt Pleasant,Mi. Tom Kenyon and i used to clime it and it was 150! When the Forest Ranger was up there we were told he would pay any who went up fifty cent's but we never saw it! Thank's for the memories!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:00 am:

We had a fire tower near my father's house, but I never tried to climb it. 30 white-knuckled feet up on the old Aermotor windmill tower was my limit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Must have taken a lot of engineering to build it. Can you imagine the what would happen in a bad wind storm. I'll bet she swayed some at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

This is the shipping crate for coastal lighthouses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Highway sign indicates the road is US-127 which is about a mile West of Devils Lake. US-223 is on the East side of the lake.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration