1915-16 Rear Fender Iron Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1915-16 Rear Fender Iron Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Do the rear fender irons for a 1915-16 roadster differ from the rear fender irons for the 1917-25 roadsters? If so how do you tell them apart? My 1915 roadster came with the 1917-25 rear fenders. Now that I have the correct rear fenders, I am having trouble getting the rear fenders to line up correctly. Could the problem be that I am using the wrong rear fender irons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:13 am:

The parts book shows rear fender irons for coupe and runabout (#4804E & #4804F) the same for 1913-1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Hi Wayne,

As Steve indicates, they all should be the same. I have seen more than a few of them off of cars and when held close together it is clear to see that many of them have been "tweaked" by age or someone.

Your's may require a bit of massage. Good luck with your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Thanks for the quick response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

1913 s are a lot thiner than the later ones. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I have a Canadian 15 with part number T5405 cast on the rear fender iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

I have two different irons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

The iron with the slight bend was from Langs and it does not fit the other one with the longer bend does fit (it is the original part) #T5405.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I can't believe Ford used the same rear roadster fender iron for 1912-23? but I don't know any differences. The touring rear fender irons, at some time in the later production, went to one made out of formed sheet steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

This is an excellent question. I have several sets of rear roadster fender irons,and they differ in the height of the rear fender mounting,from floor, Perhaps an inch or so.I have wondered if this was a year change,but have not seen any verification yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:22 am:

i have built bodies for 30 years and never saw one like that must be a Canadian thing. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:41 am:

In 1923-25 Ford used rear irons similar to the 1913-23 for the roadster and coupe. They look about the same but are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Jack and Mark's comments reflect what I am experiencing. I installed the correct 15 rear fenders with the same rear fender irons that were on the car when it had the 1923 style rear fenders. The 23 fenders were aligned correctly. The 15 fenders are now too high (with the same fender irons used on the 23 fenders), and do not align correctly with the rear edge of the splash apron. I no longer have the 1923 fender for comparison, but the problem appears to be that the fender mounting brackets are located in a different location on the fender. The 23 style apparently had the mounting bracket at the highest point of fender. The mounting bracket on the 15 fender is further back, past the crest of the fender, hence lower.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration