Grease Zerk in Rear Axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grease Zerk in Rear Axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

This axle has grease zerks tapped into it, one on each side. What do you think of putting grease in at this location? Would it go to wheel bearings or rear axle??

Great Zert

grease zert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Outer axle bearings, originally had grease cups. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Yes it's not period correct but it's soooo much easier. Get your grease gun and pump away. If you want to have the look of the grease cup they sell them with the zerk on the inside. The cover hides it to satisfy the period look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I must be missing something - how is it easier to dink with a grease gun as opposed to giving a grease cup a couple of turns ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

If you have the neoprene inner grease seals inboard of the outer bearings, do the grease pumping with the rear wheel removed. that way you can stop pumping when grease starts squeezing out of the outer seal.

If too much grease gets pumped out of the outer seal, it can contaminate the emergency brake shoes and drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

The new Zerk's definitely make life easier, especially on the ball cap which i fill till it overflows. I would think having one there would just invite greasy brake linings if one were overzealous with the grease gun. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Thanks for the info. i should pull the wheel and see what has been pumped into it. When I bought this all the fluids were dry. So I should check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:44 am:

Yes. Take the wheel off and check everything then use a hand grease gun to fill it. After that just you can just grease it as part of your routine service. Like about 6 pumps from a hand grease gun is sufficient. Don't use a power grease gun as that can over fill it. Definitely far easier than having to pack a grease cup and less messy. I use the ones as mentioned above that have the zero fitting inside the cup so, no one is the wiser.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:50 am:

My rear axle had the grease the stock grease caps. i just pulled 'em, got the tap and die set out, tapped the old grease cups, and installed zerks. So I still have the original look with the modern convenience of grease zerks and saved a couple of bucks on the side over new ones. Only takes one pump per zerk a couple times during the driving season to keep the hyatt bearings greased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Rich,

Yes, you are missing something: Grease.

A couple turns of a grease cup is not near enough grease to keep the Hyatt bearings properly lubed. I have zerk fittings hidden inside of grease cups. Before a long drive I give each bearing at least 3 pumps of grease, sometimes a little more if I'm feeling generous. A couple turns of a grease cup would yield about a pea size slug of grease.

Chuck,

That's exactly where the grease belongs and those holes were put there by Ford precisely for that purpose. If you've got grease oozing out of the seal there would be no need of removing the wheel to find it. It comes out and goes everywhere. If it were my car, I'd put a few pumps of grease in each side and call it good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Myself i fill the cups then screw them all the way down until slightly tight.I think this might have been the intended way 1 because a tight cup will not be lost,2 different sized cups for spots needing more grease? PS,Don't forget the hubcaps/grease cups and those are nice looking spokes!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I bought the T frame/chasis and supposedly had been Ďrestoredí waiting for the body. So didnít know a lot about the work done? Body was JUNK!! I believe a lot of work was done on the car. Pistons look new, spokes were redone, and the engine starts on MAG with out a battery (so probably rebuilt?). But most everything that needed oil/grease/rear end lube was dry. So now i am suspicious the wheel bearings may be dry too? Also was no gasket between block and water outlet pipe; took me a while to figure that leak out.
Anyway, so far I canít take any credit for the work done like spokes, rebuilt, frame repainted,etc. But someone did nice work.
Maybe I will put the grease cups back in; the ones with a zerk built inside??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:59 am:

If you install new style seals in the rear axle tube and have good seals on the outside, you should not need to grease that often. Before 1926/27 or maybe a little earlier there were no inner seals so any grease would flow into the rear end and vice a versa, the oil from the rear end would flow out. The pound in felts were an after thought fix. You should not need to re-tap the holes, they should be a standard pipe thread and there are standard Zerks that will fit. I have the style discussed in the other thread, the ones with the pins that take the twist lock grease connection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration