OT Model AA, Russian model?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Model AA, Russian model?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

I ran across this ad in an article about a truck that started production in Russia in 1932. The article never says anything about Ford but it sure resembles one. I don't know much about Model A's, but that is a Model A instrument panel. They call it a GAZ-AA. Gorkov Automobile Zavod (factory). Anybody know about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

It's a Russian knockoff of the AA. The Russian engine blocks are sought after by the model A speed nuts because they are thicker in critical places. I don't think they are allowed at Bonneville or FAST races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

It does say it has a 40 hp 3285cc (200.5 cid) motor. And it can go 100km on 19.5 liters of gas. It would take me all night to figure that in mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Ford set up an A factory in Russia about 1931. Russia made A engines (modified a bit, more like a model C engine--which, BTW, Ford never called it a C)up to the 1960s, powering other vehicles. Back in the 60s, Antique Ford Parts of Long Beach (I think this is all from memory) imported a number of them to sell. I think they even had insert bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

all I know is, if you type "Russian model a" into Google images you get some

.....interesting results......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Ford sold the model A stuff to Russia in late 1933, including the model B engine.
That's why only early '34 cars and trucks. Had the B engine. A few made in late '33 but '34 models.
All Fords built during calendar year '34 were V8 powered.
In Russia they were called GAZ.
The cars took on different bodies in later years but the B engine lived on for many many years.
I overhauled a Russian B engine 3 years ago that has been in a model A roadster for about 50 years.
A local model A parts guy got about 200 of the GAZ engines that had been stored in a warehouse in Poland.
The fiber timing gear had Russian writing on it and some of the bolts were metric.
It also has a road draft or road drought tube on the right side in the side cover that the U.S. Made B engine did not have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

The ones I've worked on did not have insert bearings but they were built much later that may have.
I have never heard that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Here's some links if you'd like further information:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_AA#Overseas_production

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ#Products

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

The Russian Jeep always caught my eye. I know it had a Model A engine, hood and cowl gas tank and dash panel and I've seen both Model A and AA rear axles under these and over their long production there were probably other parts used as well.
Howard Dennis

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2236

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Constantine once posted a picture of a Russian equivelant of a WW2 Jeep. It was powered by the model B engine built by GAZ, it even had the fuel tank in the cowl like a model A.
I have heard the Russian Pobaeta (sp) was an off-shoot of the model A powered with the GAZ engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:11 am:

If any Model A restorers from years back have a copy of the " RESTORER" magazine from March/April 1970 it contains an excellent article on the Russian Gaz Model A. There was also a follow up article in the March/April 1971 issue. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Corey,

That's about 13 mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

GAZ also made AAA, which had tandem rear axles. A few years ago I was visiting some old car guys in Estonia and actually saw one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Harvey,
I have that issue. . . .somewhere. . . . I actually have every issue but one--I forget which one, it's fairly early. I bought a stack of Restorers at Turlock one year, on Sunday afternoon, and should have checked, as I'll bet my missing issue was in another pile they had. Didn't pay much and it included some original, not reprint, issues from the first 3 years! The rest of my early (vol 1-3) issues are reprints. At one time I think the pile had some value, now with CDs, probably not any value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Some years ago i was preparing vehicles for the film Empire of the Sun. One was a Russian jeep copy. It had a corroded head and one of the guys said That's just like a Willys MB, I have one.

But it wouldn't fit -the whole motor was a Willys clone but back to front - manifolds on the opposite side etc. We wondered if the Russians were given reversed blueprints and didn't realise because they couldn't read western script. Pretty sure it was a Gaz.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration