Stymied by polar confusion: pay attention to the details

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stymied by polar confusion: pay attention to the details
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

A friend who is working on a TT has been mystified by the magneto's weak output. Thinking the magnets might have gone weak, today he brought them over for a charge. He brought along the flywheel and the hardware, and as I charged the magnets he laid them out on the flywheel and put in the bolts and screws. After charging each magnet, I used correction fluid to make a white dot on the north pole so we could keep track of the poles. Of course, adjacent magnets should have like poles side by side—two north, two south, two north, etc., like this:

Everybody knows this, except for all of those who don't. These particular magnets were all stamped with the Ford logo. I soon noticed that he was placing all the magnets with the logo up, assuming they all belonged that way, and not paying attention to the poles. So in some places adjacent magnets had like poles together, and in other places there were opposite poles together. I think we may have found the reason for his weak magneto.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

So, were you able to go back with your Boy Scout compass and correct them. He'll probably be surprised at the change in strength of his magneto. Good catch Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

No compass, just another magnet. That's all you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Friends don't let friends drive TT's. Everybody knows THAT !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:07 am:

That's why when I rebuilt the magneto on my spare engine, I asked my mentor (who knows a lot more about Model T's than I do) to help me out. Experience can sure make a job lots easier to get done right the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:37 am:

I have seen one T magneto that appeared to be "Ford factory original" which had one of the magnets flipped.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration