Carrying a spare coil or two

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carrying a spare coil or two
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:53 am:

I hope I have at least 4 good coils, and maybe a spare or two. I will know Saturday, after I attempt to start my engine for the first time. I would like to carry a spare (or two) in the car, which brings me to my question. Any tips on carrying a spare? Ziplock bag? Boxed with bubble-wrap? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:31 am:

Rag or ziplock bag is fine as far as i know..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:11 am:

Mine stays on the bench. To each his own. I might feel different if beginning a cross country trip, but for driving through the countryside, seldom further than 50 miles from home, I don't worry about such things. Heck, I don't have spare tires or tubes either. And you do have to have 4 of those. Three coils will get you home. And while anything is possible, good coils with new condensers and properly adjusted points don't fail near as often as some would have you believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I pack a spare coil in each car in a cardboard box with padding around the area of the points. I've carried a spare coil in each car for decades. Never needed one yet for myself, but have loaned my spare to other folks a couple times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:01 am:

I stick a full set of good rebuilt (and tested/properly) adjusted coils in a plastic padded box that is tightly sealed under my seat. And yes, there are times when they have come in handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Drove all around Yellow Stone National Park in my 26 Fordor. On my way out to West Yellowstone one of my coils quit working. Sure was nice to have a spare with me. Fifteen miles with hills on three cylinders would not have been fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:49 am:

After you get the coils all nicely set up try not to press or push on any part of the points when installing them esp the area around where the points mount to the coil. Holding the vibrating point down to check for miss is one thing but pushing on the rear section can change the adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:30 am:

I carry a couple with me in each of my cars. I rarely need to use them, but when on tours, quite frequently, someone will need one. Much easier to replace a coil than to replace points along the road.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Since I live in Sunny Humid Florida, I keep my spare in a ziplock bag with dry rice (as a desiccant)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I keep one wrapped in a rag under the back seat. Never had to use it myself, but I have loaned it to others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

The absolutely ideal way to carry a spare coil (which is a good idea), is to build a box for it that includes 'stops' that keep the body of the coil from sliding around, thereby keeping anything from touching the points and the complete point setup. As others have said above, the points are a bit fragile - not in operation, but when knocking around under your seat. I also wrap plastic around it, just to keep it dry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration