Not a Ford, but a good shot of a Maxwell-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Not a Ford, but a good shot of a Maxwell-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:24 am:

It is a Maxwell, but that's not Rochester driving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:32 am:

This is jack and Rochester.

Here's a Utube clip of them out and about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyoDhOrmIAo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Thanks Jay. I love those clips. That was a young Mel Blanc.

That is an exceptionally nice Maxwell photo Herb.
Here are photos of one that belonged to L. Simpson take in 1978 in McCall, ID.

It was a 2 cylinder car. The engine is sitting crosswise behind the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I meant "taken" in 1978.
There is no excuse for sloppy typing but I will try to think of one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Oops, wrong again. The engine photo is of a Carter car but similar. I will truly try to be more careful.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

This may well be a Maxwell engine but I'm not taking bets on it. Pretty sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I think the Maxwell had that Essex oiler on the firewall. I have one like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

You're correct Herb. One drip oiler to each cylinder and one to a main bearing. You didn't change the oil, you added. It's called a 'total loss' system. Both the ?yellow? Maxwell and your era picture look just like my red '10 AA. Lamps/lights were optional and it's strange the owner in the era picture opted for kerosene cowl but not carbide headlamps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

The "Jack Benny" Maxwell is actually owned by the Thompson's in California. It is a 1912, the last of the two cylinder Maxwells. I rebuilt the carb and took it to Cal with me over New Year's, we worked on it most of an afternoon, never could get it to run right; it has more problems than the carb. I have the carb here now waiting for additional massaging and a revision of my revision of the idle circuit that was added to the Schebler D in the 50's and ruined by somebody about ten years ago. I getting smarter about it and will probably go back to California this spring and work on the carb and the Maxwell to get it to run right. Runs perfect on my test engine, wouldn't run on the Maxwell. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

The original Maxwell carb makes a great paper weight. They run good with an NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Jim,
Come on over and I'll show you how well an '08 Maxwell LC can run with a stock carb rebuilt by Vern Campbell. :-). Mine is actually one of the last ones that he did before he passed. It is the one that was featured in the Horseless Carriage Gazette article that was published shortly after he died. The carb has it's minor quirks, but it is very much up to the task.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Here's a shot of the earlier engine that had s constant loss, battery ignition system. The '09 and later cars had magneto ignition mounted on top of the cam gear cover. The next shot is a small gathering of Maxwells at New London, MN last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I've heard that there was a Maxwell dealer in a small town near here. The name of the town is Granite Falls NC. It's a little north of Hickory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

A lot of the 09 and later were retrofitted with an impulse mag which made them a lot easier to start.

The original carbs are a little tricky to get to idle but they seem to do OK once they are adjusted correctly. O rings on the barrels help, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Nice to see some Maxwell's on here. I very rarely see them in Central IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Eric, my Maxwell carb was also restored by Mr.Campbell. I bought the carb off the HCCA website from NSW Australia. I initially used a NH but had to keep pumping the accelerator pedal to keep the engine running at a stop sign. When I bought the AA in '82 it didn't have a carb, lamps or a mag. So I 'Aggie rigged' a John Deere WICO until I found the correct Splitdorf Model H. The correct carb and rebuilt mag works nicely now. Going to NL-NB soon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Here is a 1911 AB That I purchased a few years ago. I am wanting to go on the Maxwell tour next year. So Lots to do!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

John,

That Maxwell you have there without the seat or steering wheel is great for the man who has lost his a$$ and doesn't know which way to turn! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Hi Dennis,

Good One!
I almost sprayed my keyboard with a mouthful of tea.

I must remember that line. Thank you, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

John,
Good start !! You have the elusive correct mag and a 2 quart oiler! I had real nice new fenders repopped from someone in CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

John,
That looks like a good start. It's neat to see how T Parts get modified to keep these older cars on the road. I have a section of an original wheel felloe and spokes that you can borrow for Stutzman's to use as a pattern if you decide to go back to the original 28 x 3 non-demountables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

John,
If you don't know it by now , you should get in touch with Tim Simonsma in CA. He and his dad Merle are, in my opinion, the Maxwell 2 cylinder parts and knowledge gurus and he was very helpful to me. He should be in the HCCA roster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks George, I have talked to Merle, you are right about him and I have a line on some fenders, But if you have any info on the fenders I am all ears. Eric Thanks for offering, I have an old photo of the car, looks to be in the 30's, and it had the model T wheels and the side lights on it then. For the tour, I just ordered a set of Mc Laren wheels (30X3 1/2). We will see how they look on the Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

There's an early Maxwell group on yahoo that may be useful. Also, the HCCA has a Maxwell-Briscoe Affiliated Register. Jim Moe in Minnesota is its contact person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 12:48 am:

That is a NEAT photo. How I would love to have a pic of my truck, taken in 1930 !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:52 am:

John I would happily take any pics or measurements off mine for you but it's a Mascotte. I don't know if anything would be the same.

When and where is this tour?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:49 am:

John,
That's a cool photo. Your car must have quite an interesting history to have all those mods done so long ago. I the first photo that you posted. I noticed that gear teeth had been cut in the flywheel for a starter. Now, I see that the hand crank was removed long ago. I bet that was period mod too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:28 am:

John, quite a few years ago I heard of this car while chasing parts for my 1917 Maxwell. At that time I spoke to the owner and just assumed car was still in Perry, Georgia until I saw this post.

I also found this picture online taken in 1941.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

quote:

I've heard that there was a Maxwell dealer in a small town near here. The name of the town is Granite Falls NC. It's a little north of Hickory.

Tommy, my '09 Maxwell LD was purchased new in Newland, NC, and stayed there until the late '40s when it resided in Roan Mtn., TN. As soon as I finish restoring my '15 T, I will start on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

heres my 09 maxwel jr at NLNB a few years back with my recently passed friend, Jim Drometer at the wheel, me riding shot gun. sorry no other pics since a computor crash, and shamefully not out of the shed for a couple years now. gotta get a roundtuit http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/2011/NLNB/IMGP0240.jpg.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I love the look of those little two cylinder Maxwells!

How are they for touring, can they keep up with a pack of Model Ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Popadak on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Hello John,

You mentioned that you bought new 30" wheels. I believe that 28" was the right size for the A series Maxwell. Should you end up making new fenders, I have some old fenders that where flattened out (not by me) and the reinforcing wire at the edge removed. This summer I could probably trace them out for you if you need the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Popadak on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Huh, my photo from this summer didn't upload. Tough crowd for Maxwells around here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

No, the little runabouts don't keep up with Model Ts, but they'll go anywhere a Model T will go. You just have to be patient. On HCCA tours, Model Ts average about 25 mph if driven sanely. My one-lung Cadillac, in the same terrain, averages 17, as will an A or AA Maxwell. An AB, same stroke as an AA but bigger bore, will average 19 or 20. A fellow in Maine has an AA that he drives on all the HCCA tours, not just the one-and two-cylinder tours. He starts a little sooner than the big cars, gets in a little later, and always completes the tour. One of Maxwell's slogans was: "Perfectly Simple, Simply Perfect". They're good cars.

On the other hand, there's nothing slow about that dark green touring car closest to the camera in the picture above with six Maxwells. That's a big twin with a three speed transmission, and it goes like spit. I have been a passenger in one like it, and it's a very impressive car indeed. I was on the New London-New Brighton three years ago. Some women were in that car, and one was driving, and they were having a blast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Gill,
My LC is really happy and smooth at 22-24 mph. 26 mph seems a little fast and it's totally wrung out at 34 mph. It runs right along on 1 & 2 Cylinder tours, but it can't keep up the NRS or later Fords.

You're very right about Bob Long's HC. It's 5" x 5" two-cylinder motor will let it run with the Model Ts all day long. I can usually keep with it when Bob's driving, but when his granddaughter takes the wheel she's off like a rocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

gill, much of the day at NLNB is spent passing one cylinder cadillacs! maxwells are good cars, many survived due to the steel body. modern features like a gas pedal!!! normal U joints, enclosed transmission, etc. there are usually about 8 or 10 running at the NLNB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Clayton,
I agree. The Maxwells are good little cars. Two drivers, John Elliott and Bob Long, have successfully completed every NLNB Run (30 for 30) since 1987. They each drive Maxwells.

I hope to see you and your car this August.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

WOW Howard, That is amazing that you have a photo of my car, I don't think they ever had it running. I believe that it was just yard art. Eric , a friend of mine did some research about the flywheel, I was with you about being a starter gear until he came up with a air compressor kit that came with a flywheel that was cut. ?? Ben, you are correct about 28" being the proper size for the AB, I am wondering if the little engine will even pull the larger tires. I figured if they looked funny or were too tall for the engine I will go back to stock. The 30's are much easier to find. Are any of those parts available? I am rebuilding the rear end and are in need of a new or better pinion gear. I can repair or replace everything else. Some where in another post listed a gear vender for our model T's I am sure that they could do a great job on the Maxwell pinion. A 10 tooth T gear would work. Thank you all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration