Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Looking South, Eaton Rapids, Michigan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Looking South, Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Fantastic picture of a town I've still yet to see here in the Mitten...

But, it begs a question I've wondered for a long time. Were our forebears clairvoyant? How did they know in the 1880's/'90's to make the roads so wide? Driving down Michigan Avenue, I've always wondered that. The roads are wide enough for two lanes and a turn lane... And they are spaced that way from way back. Horses/buggies weren't that wide, so why the extra room?

Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for sharing!
jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Clark - Glendale, WI on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

A lot of towns were settled and laid out with wide roads to allow a horse and buggy to turn around ( U Turn ) without backing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I have never seen a photo where the horse & buggies were parallel parked. The streets were wide to accomodate horse & buggies parked at a right angle to the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

That makes sense. I never really thought of trying to back up a horse and buggy... much less try to park one!

Thanks for the brain jog!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration