Old Photo - Model T Era - Klan March, Long Branch, New Jersey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Klan March, Long Branch, New Jersey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Well, we survived the swastika discussion without anyone imploding so we might as well move forward. Here is my town, Hamilton Ontario.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Contrary to popular notions, the Klan's high water mark was during the 20's. Nathaniel Bedford Forrest, credited with its initial establishment, withdrew and called for its disbanding within a couple of years during reconstruction.

What is it drew all these Northerners (and far northerners) to swell its ranks 50 years later and more ?? I guess folks have always been crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Oh that's a Klan parade...I thought it was wash day at the sheet factory.

We can't change history although some try to rewrite it as nothing ever happened. We need to learn from our past but still teach the history accurately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

The largest Klan Klavern was in Indiana in the 1920's, so rabid racism/anti-Semitism/anti-Catholicism isn't just an embarrassing legacy for folks living south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

I've read that the Klan was a strong political force behind prohibition. They were anti-booze, it's been said, because they believed liquor to be sinful. History records that things blew up in their face. Once the Volstead Act was implemented it nurtured jazz music, flappers and speakeasy saloons, all things they were against. It has been said this was the beginning of their decline in popularity.

Funny that their anti everybody not the same as them beliefs didn't do it. Sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

When we lived in Indianapolis we heard locals describe Indiana as the most northern southern state. That was in the early 70's and 80's and seemed true at the time, likely hasn't changed a whole lot. Friendly folks and we enjoyed our time there but saw prejudice on a variety of levels too. It was good to be white and straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I live about a quarter of a mile from a good size cave with under ground tunnels that the Klan used for meetings here in South West Missouri. The current owner uses it for a Halloween spook house. He calls it the Bellville Haunted Cave. Allen S.W., Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

The Klan, like many nationalist movements around the world (Nazis, etc.) had a strong period of growth in the 20's and 30's. Fears of economic collapse, foreigners, and a move toward isolationism led to the growth of these groups. Here in Nebraska, there were rally's held between Lincoln and Omaha. One set of grandparents were members, and my dad recalled rally's with many burning crosses.

Dad's mother was of English decent, and she disliked Catholics. We still have a ceremonial sword and medal. The medal says "One Nation, One God, One Constitution." (Or something similar....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

And here's a photo of the exact spot as my first photo above. Not a klansman to be seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

It's been a very long time but after my dad's parents were gone we found one or two pair of brass knuckles and maybe 3 kkk banners in a dresser! To this day i do not know what ever happened to them? There were stacks of the Ford times and i found the title to the DeLongs first car a 1915 Ford touring. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Bud, we have a welding table made of old sandpoints (used at the bottom of a well, to allow sand and sediment to settle out as water is drawn up).

When I was young I asked dad why we had so many used sandpoints. He explained they stuffed oily rags in them, welded them into a cross, and used them as their burning crosses at KKK rallies. It's a little family history he was not very proud of (understatement).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Rob,Funny but the only thing i can remember my granddad being mad at was Bess and Bell his team!I'm going tomorrow to check on my Veteran's benfiets so we will see if cleaning up after Grants horse came to anything!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

My dad had an unfortunately named cousin. His initials were K.K.K. In the 20's it was very popular for men to use their initials as a shortened name. He got a lot of flack and finally changed his name to Carl spelled with a C.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Rob, my great-grandmother was born in rural Ontario in 1866 and when she was growing up, Protestant-Catholic friction was common. When I was young, she taught me a rhyme from her childhood:

"Teeter, totter,
Holy water...
Sprinkle the Catholics every one.
Send them into battle
And slaughter them like cattle,
And bury them under the Protestant drum."

Times change.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Looking at the recent news makes me wonder whether they're changing back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Or never changed. Rarely rational people run things - then the lunatics have a turn. It's a cycle.

Love your neighbor and don't take the politics too seriously. When you need help, your neighbors will lend a hand. When was the last time a politician helped push your car out of a snowdrift ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

About 5 or more years ago there was a a clan rally at the court house here. They had the proper permit so it was ok!!! Lots of overtime for cops and news media had a hay day. I huess the grand poo bah was there. Nothing heard about it since. If we dont remember history we are doomed to repeat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Amen to that Dallas!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I read in a book just today that Mr Volstead was from Granite Falls, Minnesota. In the book he was described as not being a T-totaler. As in willing to have a drink. Not in reference to a Model T club from Minnesota.

The area I live in, Stearns County, was very well known for their bootleg whiskey. As a matter of fact our own Andy Loso lives pretty much in the epi-center of it all. They made a brew from corn that was grown from seed with the name "Minnesota 13". I read the whiskey also used the same name and was sought after all over the world for its quality.

Minneapolis and St Paul were a hotbed for organized crime during the 20's and into the 30's. The Mob liked to visit our area because of our policy that "as long as they didn't rob banks in the Twin Cities, they wouldn't be bothered". Minnesota had a Governor named Floyd B Olsen with a somewhat shady background and a Minneapolis Mayor by the name of Doc Ames who pretty much came into office and replaced all the law abiding cops with some who hadn't necessarily been Choir Boys.

A guy named "Kid Kann" (Isadore Blumenfeld) had ties to people such as Meyer Lansky, some fella named Alphonse Capone and others. A large amount of the whiskey made in Stearns County went through the Twin Cities and east to some of the larger metropolitan areas like Chicago and New York.

A side note; I have a 77year old friend here in the park that grew up in North Minneapolis. He tells me that during the 1950's Kid Kann would pay him $5.00 every week to wash his car. He felt proud that Kid Kann called him by his first name; "Jimmie".

My parents recalled some of the "Klan" activity during the 1930's in Northern Minnesota.i guess the Irish and Italian Catholics on the Iron Range and the Jewish population in Duluth brought some of the lowerarchy of life out of the shadows.

Lately I've wondered if the progressive political atmosphere in Minnesota will cause the Klan or similar organizations to rise again. During the last election, Minnesota remained a "blue" state throughout it all. And with the number of immigrants being funneled into Minnesota we might see a resurgence of some of the more radical groups such as the KKK.

I hope and pray we can all keep it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

And we'd be in trouble for speaking out against such things as the klan. They don't even get capital letters in my book. Do we really need more immigrants?
IF interested, look for Leith, ND. A hair-raising public television program about supremacy.
Mike's quite right about the mob too. Some of them liked to vacation on the shores of beautiful lake Minnewarshtub back then.
I'm so dumb I'd never heard of Minnesota 13 whiskey!
Shoot, not too many years ago, we used to be able to get a to-go cup of spiced rum and coke somewhere around Mike and Andy's part of the world. Carry it out to the truck and go... No problem.
In a county further West, there IS a drive up liquor store, order a couple beers and go.

(Message edited by Duey_C on January 31, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration