Update on WWI Model T Machine Gun Carrier.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Update on WWI Model T Machine Gun Carrier.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Iíve had a couple of forum members PM me and ask for photos and updates on the WWI Model T Machine Gun Carrier project that Iím playing with this winter. While far from done, itís beginning to take shape. To paraphrase Churchill, itís not the beginning, it is not the end, but it is the end of the beginning.
1915 metal work on the front, oak wood bed and seat basically fashioned after an express body. This representation would be a motor pool rebuild in the late Ď20ís with a 26/27 engine and some replacement rear fenders. All the wood work will be shellacked, primed and painted lusterless OD green. The shellac will allow someone to sand the paint off down the road and not have it in the grain of the oak. The bed is tongue and groove oak flooring. Havenít decided yet on the upholstery, leather or canvas.
Donít have it mounted yet, but a .30 cal Browning M1917 water cooled gun on a pedestal mount in the rear bed. Havenít decided on spare tire mount yet, Iím looking at passenger side running board or in the bed strapped to the seat back risers.

One tail light mounted now, but Iím working on putting a red lense in another cowl light to mount on the rear to give me two electrical tail lights with brake lights fitted to the brake pedal. Cowl lights are oil now, but will be retrofitted to be 6v and come on with the headlights and will have a high/low option with dual filament bulbs.
Iím here it is so far . . . leaving the brass unpaointed as a motor pool vehicle would be parade inspection ready, not outfitted for tactical applications.
Some field gear, compass, binoculars, wooden ammo boxes, etc., will help full up some voids. Iíve got two Lee Enfields that will mount on each splash shield that will be made of wood. Iíve put a storage drawer/pocket under the passenger seat lifting top for tool or small parts storage.
So, here it is so far . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Neat project! Let's see the Browning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Be careful with that thing. I once knew a guy who restored a WWII jeep with a similar set-up. He even put a correct machine gun on it, barrel plugged and firing pin removed. One day he stopped at his bank in it for some legitimate purpose. When he came out every cop in town was waiting for him, guns drawn.

The T looks GREAT!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Here's my WWII GPW set up. .30 cal air cooled M1919 on the GPW and a .50 cal M2 on the gun trailer.
When the T is doen, I'll have a Ford from each World War.

Gonna mount the mount and the gun this week and then I'll snap some photos or it in the bed. Need to reinforce the frame to take the weight of the mount, gun and steam condensing can and hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boris Forgerit on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Cool project, similar as this model :

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:24 am:

Neat....I like it.

Thanks for the update

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Got my seat cushions back from the shop today. All the way from my wife's sewing room! Got raw canvas from Tarp Supply and some seat foam from a local fabric shop and she whipped them up in no time! All it cost me was a nice dinner out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Gotta get gas in her . .

The car, that is . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Lookin' good! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Robert, Doc Denny in Concord NC had a WW2 Jeep and trailer like that setup. He was the fellow I got my TT rear axle from and later the engine that is in my T pickup.He had it in a enclosed trailer with a checkered floor. I never got to see it but a friend did. Doc passed away and they had a estate sale a few years ago. I miss that parts and knowledge source for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Robert cool build makes me want to build one. Really cool idea. What yeAr frame did you use??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Looking great Robert!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration